This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Have we reached the peak of innovation in television broadcasting?

Last week the IET Anglian Coastal Network hosted a fascinating webinar on ‘The Future of TV: Let’s make it personal’ which started me thinking about what the future will hold.  It doesn’t seem that long ago that only a handful of television stations were broadcasting and now with the introduction of digital terrestrial, satellite, cable and other subscription services there are thousands of channels broadcasting all over the world.

We can now watch what we want, when we want to watch it, where we watch it and with more ‘personalisation’, how we choose to watch it too.  So, if I want to watch the next Formula 1 race entirely from the view of the driver then I can choose to do that as well as bring up other information to enhance my viewing experience. But… what’s next?  As TV watching has evolved so quickly over the past few years, what does the future hold? Is there more innovation to come or have we reached a plateau?
Parents
  • Tee-hee! And another invention yet to come is SmelliVision. Would not it be great if we could smell what is happening as well as see and hear!

The technical side? Well all the different smells we sense are based on seven primaries, so I am told. Each primary could be represented by a digital parameter - eight bits should be more than sufficient. The fluctuation rate would be very small compared with sound and vision, so the extra bandwidth required would be almost negligible. The receiving set would be charged with essences of each of the seven primaries and would project the smell from these components.

A bigger challenge would be detecting these smells in the first place. Whereas a camera is an "electronic eye" and a microphone is an "electronic ear", what is an "electronic nose"? This seems to be the main area of research and development.

Of course, the set would need, as well as a brightness control and a volume control, a control for regulating the strength of the smell emitted. Some might prefer to turn the smell off altogether, during programmes like Countryfile or Yorkshire Vet. ?  ?
  • Tee-hee! And another invention yet to come is SmelliVision. Would not it be great if we could smell what is happening as well as see and hear!

The technical side? Well all the different smells we sense are based on seven primaries, so I am told. Each primary could be represented by a digital parameter - eight bits should be more than sufficient. The fluctuation rate would be very small compared with sound and vision, so the extra bandwidth required would be almost negligible. The receiving set would be charged with essences of each of the seven primaries and would project the smell from these components.

A bigger challenge would be detecting these smells in the first place. Whereas a camera is an "electronic eye" and a microphone is an "electronic ear", what is an "electronic nose"? This seems to be the main area of research and development.

Of course, the set would need, as well as a brightness control and a volume control, a control for regulating the strength of the smell emitted. Some might prefer to turn the smell off altogether, during programmes like Countryfile or Yorkshire Vet. ?  ?
Children
No Data