This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Queen of the Skies

It was sad to see the announcement over the weekend that British Airways are disbanding their fleet of Boeing 747s.  Although I've flown fairly frequently, I never managed flight in a 747. 

Are there any other airlines out there that are still flying these aircraft? 

Otherwise this will be one to add to my list of aircraft I wanted to fly on that I never achieved, along with the Sunderland Flying Boat and Concorde.

Does anyone else have a list of aircraft now defunct that they always wanted to fly on?
Parents
  • I have flown on all 3 air-crafts mentioned with following experiences:

- Concorde I flew twice (LON-JFK by BA and JFK-CDG by Air France): The reminded my of Fokker-F27 Friendship planes but much more opulent (they are incredibly small inside! Excellent meal, tons of caviar and best bubbly and wine. By the time you finish a leisurely meal, time to land at destination and depending on where you were going at JFK BA provided helicopter to destination (assuming landing pad) or private limo.

- Boeing Jumbo: The first configurations had a nice bar/lounge in the upper deck with seating capacity of 6-8 people!

A-380: I think this is a magical aircraft, incredibly spacious and very, very quiet. Pity it will disappear since hub-spoke is becoming passé and we have many point-to-point direct flights. I can second the note that one must try to fly one of this before they are all grounded. Airbus did not realise (as Boeing did) that point-to-point flying will be the future.

Best wishes
  • I have flown on all 3 air-crafts mentioned with following experiences:

- Concorde I flew twice (LON-JFK by BA and JFK-CDG by Air France): The reminded my of Fokker-F27 Friendship planes but much more opulent (they are incredibly small inside! Excellent meal, tons of caviar and best bubbly and wine. By the time you finish a leisurely meal, time to land at destination and depending on where you were going at JFK BA provided helicopter to destination (assuming landing pad) or private limo.

- Boeing Jumbo: The first configurations had a nice bar/lounge in the upper deck with seating capacity of 6-8 people!

A-380: I think this is a magical aircraft, incredibly spacious and very, very quiet. Pity it will disappear since hub-spoke is becoming passé and we have many point-to-point direct flights. I can second the note that one must try to fly one of this before they are all grounded. Airbus did not realise (as Boeing did) that point-to-point flying will be the future.

Best wishes
Children
No Data