This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Scottish Govt to regulate "electrician" description

Currently anyone can call themselves an electrician, without the need for any qualifications or competency.

The Scottish Government is gathering information and views on whether regulations should be introduced in relation to electricians. While the focus of the consultation is on domestic work carried out for individual consumers, it will also apply to commercial and industrial work.

https://consult.gov.scot/energy-and-climate-change-directorate/a-consultation-on-the-regulation-of-electricians/
Parents
  • I have already looked at the consultation and responded as I thought. Lets be clear unlike some countries "Electrician" is not a protected status where only suitably qualified persons can use such a title, nor as far as Im aware is there a detailed definition of "Electrician".

The thoughts are admirable, but how do they expect to stop those persons not following regulations etc and being compliant with standards will always be the downfall. The matter simply sit with those that employ these incompetent persons.

Reg 16 of the EAWR 1989 states exactly who can carry out electrical work and the limits of such work, how the Scot Gov expect to get round that I simply dont know, yes all existing schemes are voluntary and large industrial, commercial and even housing developers and development owners may insist on people being members of those schemes and I would hope there are no electric shocks and fires associated with work carried out by individuals and firms. The issue is and always will be they the Scot Gov are trying to address where the main issues lie and thats in domestic situations. No matter what they do, they will never stop a home owner or even a tenant, speaking with somebody down the pub or whatever and getting the local handy person or "Electrician" to install some extra power outlets, lights or EV charger point.

Great intentions but I dont see anything improving, trust worthy and competant electrical persons and firms will end up paying more to ensure membership of whatever they bring out, but will never stop the "Cowboys". We also need to remember that electrical apprentices cant be called an electrician until they are time served so wording in the EAWR 1989 describes exactly what apprentices can carry out.

• I have already looked at the consultation and responded as I thought. Lets be clear unlike some countries "Electrician" is not a protected status where only suitably qualified persons can use such a title, nor as far as Im aware is there a detailed definition of "Electrician".

The thoughts are admirable, but how do they expect to stop those persons not following regulations etc and being compliant with standards will always be the downfall. The matter simply sit with those that employ these incompetent persons.

Reg 16 of the EAWR 1989 states exactly who can carry out electrical work and the limits of such work, how the Scot Gov expect to get round that I simply dont know, yes all existing schemes are voluntary and large industrial, commercial and even housing developers and development owners may insist on people being members of those schemes and I would hope there are no electric shocks and fires associated with work carried out by individuals and firms. The issue is and always will be they the Scot Gov are trying to address where the main issues lie and thats in domestic situations. No matter what they do, they will never stop a home owner or even a tenant, speaking with somebody down the pub or whatever and getting the local handy person or "Electrician" to install some extra power outlets, lights or EV charger point.

Great intentions but I dont see anything improving, trust worthy and competant electrical persons and firms will end up paying more to ensure membership of whatever they bring out, but will never stop the "Cowboys". We also need to remember that electrical apprentices cant be called an electrician until they are time served so wording in the EAWR 1989 describes exactly what apprentices can carry out.

Children
No Data