This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Scottish Govt to regulate "electrician" description

Currently anyone can call themselves an electrician, without the need for any qualifications or competency.

The Scottish Government is gathering information and views on whether regulations should be introduced in relation to electricians. While the focus of the consultation is on domestic work carried out for individual consumers, it will also apply to commercial and industrial work.

https://consult.gov.scot/energy-and-climate-change-directorate/a-consultation-on-the-regulation-of-electricians/
Parents
  • Personally I think it needs care - there is a risk that if restrictions on who can do what are  implemented badly, it can be uneconomic for small firms doing mostly minor works,  and may then actually push down quality.

From what I have seen it is quite often the large outfits at the fixed price contract "shallow end " of the market that produce the poorest work - the ones where one person does the installing, perhaps a different person each day, afterwards someone else is supposed to do the testing and a third, who has not been anywhere near the place, actually signs the forms. 'our skilled installers' are often anything but, just the employee nearest at the time the phone rings, who is paid to get something (anything) up and running in the shortest possible time and then get out quick, into the van and on to the next one...

Also it needs to be proportionate - there really are not that many serious electrical incidents compared to other domestic ones - I suggest that most installations do not meet BS7671, and if AMD 2 goes through the fraction will increase, but most of those are not an immediate dangers. And the accident figures from countries that have systems with  licences to practice and so on do not show a marked reduction.

Again, personally, I think there is more mileage in educating the public to know what good and bad work should look like, and how to complain in a sensible manner.

regards Mike.

• Personally I think it needs care - there is a risk that if restrictions on who can do what are  implemented badly, it can be uneconomic for small firms doing mostly minor works,  and may then actually push down quality.

From what I have seen it is quite often the large outfits at the fixed price contract "shallow end " of the market that produce the poorest work - the ones where one person does the installing, perhaps a different person each day, afterwards someone else is supposed to do the testing and a third, who has not been anywhere near the place, actually signs the forms. 'our skilled installers' are often anything but, just the employee nearest at the time the phone rings, who is paid to get something (anything) up and running in the shortest possible time and then get out quick, into the van and on to the next one...

Also it needs to be proportionate - there really are not that many serious electrical incidents compared to other domestic ones - I suggest that most installations do not meet BS7671, and if AMD 2 goes through the fraction will increase, but most of those are not an immediate dangers. And the accident figures from countries that have systems with  licences to practice and so on do not show a marked reduction.

Again, personally, I think there is more mileage in educating the public to know what good and bad work should look like, and how to complain in a sensible manner.

regards Mike.

Children
No Data