This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Scottish Govt to regulate "electrician" description

Currently anyone can call themselves an electrician, without the need for any qualifications or competency.

The Scottish Government is gathering information and views on whether regulations should be introduced in relation to electricians. While the focus of the consultation is on domestic work carried out for individual consumers, it will also apply to commercial and industrial work.

https://consult.gov.scot/energy-and-climate-change-directorate/a-consultation-on-the-regulation-of-electricians/
Parents
  • I think this is the whole crux of the matter what is the definition of an "Electrician"? They indicate should the term have protected status? So that would mean somebody saying or advertising themselves as an electrician when they were not could be taken to task by trading standards for mis representation. Im sure the SJIB have and do have a register of all those grades of "Electrician" on their books but many practising electrical technicians wont have a SJIB card depending on their work arena.

To me it will not help drive down any fire/explosion or electric shock events, as Mapj1 clearly indicated and I agree fully if the house owner or indeed any person just wilfilly engages anybody that says they are an electrician or electrically qualified for the task they then desrve whats coming. However others then unfortunately pick up the cost to do the job correctly. Its a public education exercise that is required but cost of work will always be the driver.
  • I think this is the whole crux of the matter what is the definition of an "Electrician"? They indicate should the term have protected status? So that would mean somebody saying or advertising themselves as an electrician when they were not could be taken to task by trading standards for mis representation. Im sure the SJIB have and do have a register of all those grades of "Electrician" on their books but many practising electrical technicians wont have a SJIB card depending on their work arena.

To me it will not help drive down any fire/explosion or electric shock events, as Mapj1 clearly indicated and I agree fully if the house owner or indeed any person just wilfilly engages anybody that says they are an electrician or electrically qualified for the task they then desrve whats coming. However others then unfortunately pick up the cost to do the job correctly. Its a public education exercise that is required but cost of work will always be the driver.
Children
No Data