This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Scottish Govt to regulate "electrician" description

Currently anyone can call themselves an electrician, without the need for any qualifications or competency.

The Scottish Government is gathering information and views on whether regulations should be introduced in relation to electricians. While the focus of the consultation is on domestic work carried out for individual consumers, it will also apply to commercial and industrial work.

https://consult.gov.scot/energy-and-climate-change-directorate/a-consultation-on-the-regulation-of-electricians/
Parents
  • Indeed - that would make more sense, if customers were educated to say 'show me your papers' in the best 'allo 'allo manner,  and expected, nay demanded,  to see an installation certificate of some sort and supporting result sheet rather than just look puzzled and say ' the last chap didn't do all that', then perhaps it would be taken a bit more seriously.

It may be worth looking at the cost benefit analysis for part P, as it is still out there and noting just how far off the estimates of cost (under stated) and supposed benefit (overstated) actually were.

here - archived.

I've said  something like  it before but I've always been of the opinion that "guerrilla wiring" is a bit like your teenage kids and sex...

You'd really rather they didn't, but you can't find who, where, what & when before it happens, and even in those occasions when you could, it's always when it is now far too late and not actually going to be helpful to go off on one.

So, in both cases, your best approach is education and openness with the "what to expect and how to do it safely" information, and being prepared to be helpful and pick up the bits and be a shoulder to cry on as required.

(And its good to keep a sense of proportion, we were all young at least once, and its always possible that some of my/your early special installations are now someone else's weird wiring nightmare to debug )

regards Mike.
  • Indeed - that would make more sense, if customers were educated to say 'show me your papers' in the best 'allo 'allo manner,  and expected, nay demanded,  to see an installation certificate of some sort and supporting result sheet rather than just look puzzled and say ' the last chap didn't do all that', then perhaps it would be taken a bit more seriously.

It may be worth looking at the cost benefit analysis for part P, as it is still out there and noting just how far off the estimates of cost (under stated) and supposed benefit (overstated) actually were.

here - archived.

I've said  something like  it before but I've always been of the opinion that "guerrilla wiring" is a bit like your teenage kids and sex...

You'd really rather they didn't, but you can't find who, where, what & when before it happens, and even in those occasions when you could, it's always when it is now far too late and not actually going to be helpful to go off on one.

So, in both cases, your best approach is education and openness with the "what to expect and how to do it safely" information, and being prepared to be helpful and pick up the bits and be a shoulder to cry on as required.

(And its good to keep a sense of proportion, we were all young at least once, and its always possible that some of my/your early special installations are now someone else's weird wiring nightmare to debug )

regards Mike.
Children
No Data