This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Scottish Govt to regulate "electrician" description

Currently anyone can call themselves an electrician, without the need for any qualifications or competency.

The Scottish Government is gathering information and views on whether regulations should be introduced in relation to electricians. While the focus of the consultation is on domestic work carried out for individual consumers, it will also apply to commercial and industrial work.

https://consult.gov.scot/energy-and-climate-change-directorate/a-consultation-on-the-regulation-of-electricians/
Parents
  • No matter what the regulations, rules or scheme whatever is decided, if you dont have a "Police Force" that will inact and fine/punish those nor following the rules it will fail. All that happens is those already trying and indeed doing a good job and competent electricians, pay yet more while those who dont heed to anything will continue as normal. Of course any research the public/consumer will state they want professional qualified electricians, but when they then have to pay the going rate, then wee jimmy down the pub will throw in the sockets/light/EV charger etc.

In some ways and I appreaciate the views already of others made on this thread one size doesnt fit all. I a few years back run a supply into my detached garage, installed lighting, sockets and distribution board and tested it all etc. Local authority insisted I must get a registered firm to at least inspect the work!! That was until I pointed out the clause in the regs that says If Im suitably qualified I can do so myself and local authority must check, needless to say, guy came out and said best installed garage electrics he had ever seen, then asked what I do for a job? then the penny dropped that I as the house holder was still a SJIB registered electrician and a few other bits of paper.

We also read and yes there are still breaches but the old Corgi or Gas safe as it is now, they have "Modules" for the type and exact type of work undertaken, pipework, appliances, commercial, domesticc, install, maintenance etc and the holder of that cert puts down their "Badge" No or whatever on the certificates to say they were responsible, why can the electrical industry not do the same, so your so called kitchen fitters/plumbers have say Module 1, industrial/commercial/install/service/process/Haz area/inspection/testing/LV/HV/Data/Comms and people just do the modules for work they do, that said those with craft apprenticeships should achieve a Min amount of these modules. Yes training or certification people make money especially when CPD and refreshing is say every three years. Who pays for all of that? its passed to the consumer of course. Trading Standards are the people to enforce, but like all local authority departments people have been shed to save money but those remaining have even more regulations to enforce, so what do they do? A  risk assessment so a householder that gets an extra light or socket installed, wont be at the top of that agenda, then again how would they even know about it unless notifiable and people will not do that.

Its public perception, they just dont get the dangers of employing people not competent for the task to be done, also are those people likley to have the correct insurances? I doubt it, so that opens another Pandoras box. So why should an insurance company pay out to fix the damage caused by incorrect electrical work by an uninsured person/company, is that how we start educating the consumer?

I think the idea of protected status for "Electrician" sounds good but just dont see how they can achieve anything positive. Somebody mentioned the NICEIC and yes everybody knew who and what they were, but they have lost there were since rebadging/merging and their focus is on domestic market and selling nice T Shirts and van stickers to their members, so I think their buisness plans and aproach isnt what it should be.

• No matter what the regulations, rules or scheme whatever is decided, if you dont have a "Police Force" that will inact and fine/punish those nor following the rules it will fail. All that happens is those already trying and indeed doing a good job and competent electricians, pay yet more while those who dont heed to anything will continue as normal. Of course any research the public/consumer will state they want professional qualified electricians, but when they then have to pay the going rate, then wee jimmy down the pub will throw in the sockets/light/EV charger etc.

In some ways and I appreaciate the views already of others made on this thread one size doesnt fit all. I a few years back run a supply into my detached garage, installed lighting, sockets and distribution board and tested it all etc. Local authority insisted I must get a registered firm to at least inspect the work!! That was until I pointed out the clause in the regs that says If Im suitably qualified I can do so myself and local authority must check, needless to say, guy came out and said best installed garage electrics he had ever seen, then asked what I do for a job? then the penny dropped that I as the house holder was still a SJIB registered electrician and a few other bits of paper.

We also read and yes there are still breaches but the old Corgi or Gas safe as it is now, they have "Modules" for the type and exact type of work undertaken, pipework, appliances, commercial, domesticc, install, maintenance etc and the holder of that cert puts down their "Badge" No or whatever on the certificates to say they were responsible, why can the electrical industry not do the same, so your so called kitchen fitters/plumbers have say Module 1, industrial/commercial/install/service/process/Haz area/inspection/testing/LV/HV/Data/Comms and people just do the modules for work they do, that said those with craft apprenticeships should achieve a Min amount of these modules. Yes training or certification people make money especially when CPD and refreshing is say every three years. Who pays for all of that? its passed to the consumer of course. Trading Standards are the people to enforce, but like all local authority departments people have been shed to save money but those remaining have even more regulations to enforce, so what do they do? A  risk assessment so a householder that gets an extra light or socket installed, wont be at the top of that agenda, then again how would they even know about it unless notifiable and people will not do that.

Its public perception, they just dont get the dangers of employing people not competent for the task to be done, also are those people likley to have the correct insurances? I doubt it, so that opens another Pandoras box. So why should an insurance company pay out to fix the damage caused by incorrect electrical work by an uninsured person/company, is that how we start educating the consumer?

I think the idea of protected status for "Electrician" sounds good but just dont see how they can achieve anything positive. Somebody mentioned the NICEIC and yes everybody knew who and what they were, but they have lost there were since rebadging/merging and their focus is on domestic market and selling nice T Shirts and van stickers to their members, so I think their buisness plans and aproach isnt what it should be.

Children
No Data