This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Scottish Govt to regulate "electrician" description

Currently anyone can call themselves an electrician, without the need for any qualifications or competency.

The Scottish Government is gathering information and views on whether regulations should be introduced in relation to electricians. While the focus of the consultation is on domestic work carried out for individual consumers, it will also apply to commercial and industrial work.

https://consult.gov.scot/energy-and-climate-change-directorate/a-consultation-on-the-regulation-of-electricians/
Parents
  • Regards that photo of the feed in meter wiring.

I assume the installation company would have been MCS registered as well as being a member of a self certification scheme for Part P.

Those registrations didn’t achieve much did they?

If the public brand recognition is low for the NICEIC what do you think the chances are of them being able to tell you what the MCS is?

As I drive around England and Wales I see vans with stickers proclaiming the membership of multiple schemes all down the sides of their vans, one forum member commented a few years ago that some of these firms are going to have to get their guys to drive around with the back doors open, because there’s no space left down the sides on their vans,

I do find myself asking what these multiple scheme memberships achieve?

When I first read this post I did an internet search for electricians in remote parts of Scotland, I found some do not even bother mentioning they are members of a competence scheme on their websites and I had to do further checks to see if they are. My wife was sat next to me, I said to her that they didn’t advertise scheme memberships and her response was what I was already thinking, in remote areas people either know who the electrician is or will ask for a recommendation from a friend or neighbour. It’s only really going to be in the cities where there’s a large choice of contractors who you are not familiar with. I presume the electricians in remote parts of Scotland have a website so people can find their contact details, rather than trying to flog themselves as being something superior because they are members of a competence scheme.

The basics of advertising, what you do, where you do it, your trading hours, how much you charge and how to get in touch with you.

Logos, badges and pages of bumf are optional extras, including competence scheme logos.
  • Regards that photo of the feed in meter wiring.

I assume the installation company would have been MCS registered as well as being a member of a self certification scheme for Part P.

Those registrations didn’t achieve much did they?

If the public brand recognition is low for the NICEIC what do you think the chances are of them being able to tell you what the MCS is?

As I drive around England and Wales I see vans with stickers proclaiming the membership of multiple schemes all down the sides of their vans, one forum member commented a few years ago that some of these firms are going to have to get their guys to drive around with the back doors open, because there’s no space left down the sides on their vans,

I do find myself asking what these multiple scheme memberships achieve?

When I first read this post I did an internet search for electricians in remote parts of Scotland, I found some do not even bother mentioning they are members of a competence scheme on their websites and I had to do further checks to see if they are. My wife was sat next to me, I said to her that they didn’t advertise scheme memberships and her response was what I was already thinking, in remote areas people either know who the electrician is or will ask for a recommendation from a friend or neighbour. It’s only really going to be in the cities where there’s a large choice of contractors who you are not familiar with. I presume the electricians in remote parts of Scotland have a website so people can find their contact details, rather than trying to flog themselves as being something superior because they are members of a competence scheme.

The basics of advertising, what you do, where you do it, your trading hours, how much you charge and how to get in touch with you.

Logos, badges and pages of bumf are optional extras, including competence scheme logos.
Children
No Data