This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Undergraduate PCB Design Freelance - What to charge?

Former Community Member
Former Community Member
Hello IET Members. 

I am currently in the third year of my undergraduate EEE course. I have been approached by a company, where I was an intern before university, to design a small PCB for them. 

They are asking me for a quote. As I have not entered the world of work yet, I do not know what is a reasonable hourly rate for PCB design consultation, especially someone at my stage in the career. 

So, could other members give me a ballpark figure of how much I should be charging per hour?

Many thanks,

Tom
Parents
  • Here's a useful page:
    https://www.peopleperhour.com/hire-freelancers/pcb+designer+freelance+rates

You'll see there's a huge range of rates here, as an undergrad probably around £20/hr is about right. You could charge less to get the experience, but then it's really difficult trying to charge more later on if they start taking advantage (i.e. become demanding and it eats into your time for doing other things) - they are likely to say "but you only charged £x last time".

Good thing to be doing, just be prepared that if they are paying for it:
    • They will expect it done in a reasonable time, make sure you absolutely can fit it around your uni commitments,

• They will expect it to be done to commercial quality, so all files made available to them in a tidy format,

• If you make any errors in the design you may need to rework them at your own expense - so agree with them what the definition of "correct" is. I'd suggest you want to make sure that someone at their end is going to check the layout and agree it before they get it built so that it's not all your responsibility if it doesn't work. (If you literally manage not to connect two tracks together which are shown in the design that's your fault. If two components electrically interfere with each other because they are too close together, resulting in a complete re-layout being required, you don't want to carry all the responsibility for that.)

Hence good practice at undergrad level to start thinking about all this sort of stuff! You'll probably find it takes longer than you think it will, but that's all part of the learning process...

Cheers,

Andy

• Here's a useful page:
    https://www.peopleperhour.com/hire-freelancers/pcb+designer+freelance+rates

You'll see there's a huge range of rates here, as an undergrad probably around £20/hr is about right. You could charge less to get the experience, but then it's really difficult trying to charge more later on if they start taking advantage (i.e. become demanding and it eats into your time for doing other things) - they are likely to say "but you only charged £x last time".

Good thing to be doing, just be prepared that if they are paying for it:
    • They will expect it done in a reasonable time, make sure you absolutely can fit it around your uni commitments,

• They will expect it to be done to commercial quality, so all files made available to them in a tidy format,

• If you make any errors in the design you may need to rework them at your own expense - so agree with them what the definition of "correct" is. I'd suggest you want to make sure that someone at their end is going to check the layout and agree it before they get it built so that it's not all your responsibility if it doesn't work. (If you literally manage not to connect two tracks together which are shown in the design that's your fault. If two components electrically interfere with each other because they are too close together, resulting in a complete re-layout being required, you don't want to carry all the responsibility for that.)

Hence good practice at undergrad level to start thinking about all this sort of stuff! You'll probably find it takes longer than you think it will, but that's all part of the learning process...

Cheers,

Andy

Children
No Data