This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

How do we create or adapt infrastructure within homes or workplaces so that DC appliances can be adopted?

Former Community Member
Former Community Member
If you are a lucky one living with a resilient electric grid, happy days. But consider those too far away geographically or economically to join in the energy bonanza, which the fortunate have taken for granted their entire lives. Read our blog and let us know your thoughts on how we can innovate, challenge and question the status quo.
Parents
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    The blog illustrates the plight of the energy poor and I wholeheartedly support the measures cited to re-balance the inequality. However, I’m left feeling that it already starts from an unsteady footing, assuming that all we take for granted in more technologically developed economies is what we should be aiming to provide the energy poor. I would argue that it starts from a re-examination of our own profligacy and wastefulness from which we should partner and learn together with those communities. We in what we can consider more technologically developed environments need to take a step back and observe how communities without access, work and live and survive. Understand the principles that they must live by just to maintain their existence. This then becomes a two-way learning process, respecting the culture and history and knowledge of other societies and communities as a mirror to challenge our own shortcomings. Many organisations have declared climate emergencies and net-zero carbon goals, and whilst these are positive aspirations, we have to guard against it becoming self-congratulatory rhetoric. We can only become net-zero when we reduce carbon to a greater extent than we emit it. What better way than to focus those additional efforts and resources in supporting those regions without resilient access to energy, alongside soil improvement and reforestation actions, and build on the sustainable principles that many in energy starved communities must adopt out of necessity.
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    The blog illustrates the plight of the energy poor and I wholeheartedly support the measures cited to re-balance the inequality. However, I’m left feeling that it already starts from an unsteady footing, assuming that all we take for granted in more technologically developed economies is what we should be aiming to provide the energy poor. I would argue that it starts from a re-examination of our own profligacy and wastefulness from which we should partner and learn together with those communities. We in what we can consider more technologically developed environments need to take a step back and observe how communities without access, work and live and survive. Understand the principles that they must live by just to maintain their existence. This then becomes a two-way learning process, respecting the culture and history and knowledge of other societies and communities as a mirror to challenge our own shortcomings. Many organisations have declared climate emergencies and net-zero carbon goals, and whilst these are positive aspirations, we have to guard against it becoming self-congratulatory rhetoric. We can only become net-zero when we reduce carbon to a greater extent than we emit it. What better way than to focus those additional efforts and resources in supporting those regions without resilient access to energy, alongside soil improvement and reforestation actions, and build on the sustainable principles that many in energy starved communities must adopt out of necessity.
Children
No Data