This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

How do we create or adapt infrastructure within homes or workplaces so that DC appliances can be adopted?

Former Community Member
Former Community Member
If you are a lucky one living with a resilient electric grid, happy days. But consider those too far away geographically or economically to join in the energy bonanza, which the fortunate have taken for granted their entire lives. Read our blog and let us know your thoughts on how we can innovate, challenge and question the status quo.
Parents
  • Hi Keith,

Thanks for your comments which I agree with to a large extent.

It's not at all simple to model how access to electrical energy and appliances will affect rural developing communities.

Undoubtedly some communities would be better off without it.

However the general trend seems to be that communities want access to electronic and digital amenities including communication and the world wide web.

If we accept that a demand will attract a supply in the world we live in then I would advocate that a format for supply of electricity which is renewable and requires minimal infrastructure is prefereable to a traditional grid.

Providing access to electricity and digital communications in rural areas could also conceivably reduce the trend toward urbanisation, which most would argue causes environmental deterioration.

I wholeheartedly agree that the affects of these installations should be monitored, not just parachuted in and forgotten about.

• Hi Keith,

Thanks for your comments which I agree with to a large extent.

It's not at all simple to model how access to electrical energy and appliances will affect rural developing communities.

Undoubtedly some communities would be better off without it.

However the general trend seems to be that communities want access to electronic and digital amenities including communication and the world wide web.

If we accept that a demand will attract a supply in the world we live in then I would advocate that a format for supply of electricity which is renewable and requires minimal infrastructure is prefereable to a traditional grid.

Providing access to electricity and digital communications in rural areas could also conceivably reduce the trend toward urbanisation, which most would argue causes environmental deterioration.

I wholeheartedly agree that the affects of these installations should be monitored, not just parachuted in and forgotten about.

Children
No Data