This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

How do we create or adapt infrastructure within homes or workplaces so that DC appliances can be adopted?

Former Community Member
Former Community Member
If you are a lucky one living with a resilient electric grid, happy days. But consider those too far away geographically or economically to join in the energy bonanza, which the fortunate have taken for granted their entire lives. Read our blog and let us know your thoughts on how we can innovate, challenge and question the status quo.
Parents
  • Thanks for sharing. The electrification of the developing world is a task I hope to play a role in actualising. I have a few questions that I am hoping I can get some answers to.

1. I am sceptical about the statement regarding PV microgrids that mentions that "some beneficiaries see themselves as being fobbed off with a poor relation of 'real electricity' and want the same electricity as the 'fortunate ones' that gives them access to TVs, washing machines and computers". Have actual studies been conducted on this? Rather than washing machines and computers etc, wouldn't the first priority be to have basic necessities such as lighting ? Besides, can one not argue that microgrids are more reliable than the traditional grid? 

2. What makes this solution better than the microgrid solutions which are currently in the market and have been implemented in African countries which provide lights, storage and even tv's in some instances? 

3. How do you intend to roll this out? Will you give these systems away? Will you offer it via affordable payment plans? 

• Thanks for sharing. The electrification of the developing world is a task I hope to play a role in actualising. I have a few questions that I am hoping I can get some answers to.

1. I am sceptical about the statement regarding PV microgrids that mentions that "some beneficiaries see themselves as being fobbed off with a poor relation of 'real electricity' and want the same electricity as the 'fortunate ones' that gives them access to TVs, washing machines and computers". Have actual studies been conducted on this? Rather than washing machines and computers etc, wouldn't the first priority be to have basic necessities such as lighting ? Besides, can one not argue that microgrids are more reliable than the traditional grid? 

2. What makes this solution better than the microgrid solutions which are currently in the market and have been implemented in African countries which provide lights, storage and even tv's in some instances? 

3. How do you intend to roll this out? Will you give these systems away? Will you offer it via affordable payment plans? 

Children
No Data