This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

How do we create or adapt infrastructure within homes or workplaces so that DC appliances can be adopted?

Former Community Member
Former Community Member
If you are a lucky one living with a resilient electric grid, happy days. But consider those too far away geographically or economically to join in the energy bonanza, which the fortunate have taken for granted their entire lives. Read our blog and let us know your thoughts on how we can innovate, challenge and question the status quo.
Parents
  • I can fully see the point about not bothering with the washing machine if you do not have water.

In my case of course being East Yorkshire, there was no shortage of water,  both mains for drinks and collected rainwater, much softer, for hair washing.

Oddly my great grandparents, maternal, who I never met, were already in their 60s when mains water came to their farm, in the late 1940s, and having used  their own well and pump forever, they could see no use for it. But the man from Yorkshire Water insisted, and in the end as a compromise, to get rid of him,  the lead pipe and a single tap was tolerated as far as  the pantry. However, apparently it did not see much use until after their deaths in the early 1960s. (and they lived most of their lives pre NHS as well)

Parts of the UK were not well served not that many decades ago, even some town councils provided bucket collection sanitation into the 1960s and 70s. We quickly take the latest miracles for granted, but the other side is that when modernisation occurs, it happens at a cracking pace and the transient halfway house solutions do not reign for long.

Mike

• I can fully see the point about not bothering with the washing machine if you do not have water.

In my case of course being East Yorkshire, there was no shortage of water,  both mains for drinks and collected rainwater, much softer, for hair washing.

Oddly my great grandparents, maternal, who I never met, were already in their 60s when mains water came to their farm, in the late 1940s, and having used  their own well and pump forever, they could see no use for it. But the man from Yorkshire Water insisted, and in the end as a compromise, to get rid of him,  the lead pipe and a single tap was tolerated as far as  the pantry. However, apparently it did not see much use until after their deaths in the early 1960s. (and they lived most of their lives pre NHS as well)

Parts of the UK were not well served not that many decades ago, even some town councils provided bucket collection sanitation into the 1960s and 70s. We quickly take the latest miracles for granted, but the other side is that when modernisation occurs, it happens at a cracking pace and the transient halfway house solutions do not reign for long.

Mike

Children
No Data