This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

How do we create or adapt infrastructure within homes or workplaces so that DC appliances can be adopted?

Former Community Member
Former Community Member
If you are a lucky one living with a resilient electric grid, happy days. But consider those too far away geographically or economically to join in the energy bonanza, which the fortunate have taken for granted their entire lives. Read our blog and let us know your thoughts on how we can innovate, challenge and question the status quo.
Parents
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member

Following on from Andy's comments, for many years I have wondered about the considerable energy losses built into our current homes.  For almost every device in the home these days we use transformers - either internal or external to the device - to convert our mains AC into LV DC that the electronic circuits in our TVs, PCs and just about anything else that doesn't use a motor need to run on.  

We would need a common electrical DC supply standard but once we have that, manufacturers can produce products that can take an AC or DC input.  This would allow supply straight from home solar PV & battery systems without the need for the existing DC to AC to DC power conversion (and in-built power losses).  I lack the knowledge to compare likely domestic DC line losses compared to existing AC line losses within a household but guess that removal of transformer losses must lead to a reduction in total energy usage.

Turning back to 3rd world villages, it would surely lead to greater availability of domestic products suitable for their micro-grid systems, enhancing their quality of life?  Any thoughts, positive or negative, welcome.

• Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member

Following on from Andy's comments, for many years I have wondered about the considerable energy losses built into our current homes.  For almost every device in the home these days we use transformers - either internal or external to the device - to convert our mains AC into LV DC that the electronic circuits in our TVs, PCs and just about anything else that doesn't use a motor need to run on.  

We would need a common electrical DC supply standard but once we have that, manufacturers can produce products that can take an AC or DC input.  This would allow supply straight from home solar PV & battery systems without the need for the existing DC to AC to DC power conversion (and in-built power losses).  I lack the knowledge to compare likely domestic DC line losses compared to existing AC line losses within a household but guess that removal of transformer losses must lead to a reduction in total energy usage.

Turning back to 3rd world villages, it would surely lead to greater availability of domestic products suitable for their micro-grid systems, enhancing their quality of life?  Any thoughts, positive or negative, welcome.

Children
No Data