This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

How do we create or adapt infrastructure within homes or workplaces so that DC appliances can be adopted?

Former Community Member
Former Community Member
If you are a lucky one living with a resilient electric grid, happy days. But consider those too far away geographically or economically to join in the energy bonanza, which the fortunate have taken for granted their entire lives. Read our blog and let us know your thoughts on how we can innovate, challenge and question the status quo.
Parents
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member

(A reply to AndyC)

FYI, as part of an Open University research project, I am looking in detail at how we might set about providing a DC electrical ecosystem, as an alternative to our familiar AC one.  There are several alternatives - but neither technical excellence nor energy efficiency will be enough to justify a competing system, with all its attendant incompatibilities, adapters and converters, etc etc.  However, there is an acute problem which may: We need to increase the capacity of the final mile, to support large-scale Electric Vehicle use, the switch to heat pumps, and to take full advantage of the increasing use of batteries with solar systems.  DC is an attractive option for this - but should it be implemented with a parallel final-mile network (very disruptive), or by some other method?

I am very interested in your information from 1931.  I have been trying to find out which voltages were available where and when in the UK (and whether they were AC or DC), but this doesn't seem to have been documented anywhere I can find.  I am however, aware that there were some DC households (I think at +200VDC), at least until the early 1960's.  (They were fed from the grid by substation mercury arc rectifiers.)  Can anyone suggest a source of detailed information?

• Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member

(A reply to AndyC)

FYI, as part of an Open University research project, I am looking in detail at how we might set about providing a DC electrical ecosystem, as an alternative to our familiar AC one.  There are several alternatives - but neither technical excellence nor energy efficiency will be enough to justify a competing system, with all its attendant incompatibilities, adapters and converters, etc etc.  However, there is an acute problem which may: We need to increase the capacity of the final mile, to support large-scale Electric Vehicle use, the switch to heat pumps, and to take full advantage of the increasing use of batteries with solar systems.  DC is an attractive option for this - but should it be implemented with a parallel final-mile network (very disruptive), or by some other method?

I am very interested in your information from 1931.  I have been trying to find out which voltages were available where and when in the UK (and whether they were AC or DC), but this doesn't seem to have been documented anywhere I can find.  I am however, aware that there were some DC households (I think at +200VDC), at least until the early 1960's.  (They were fed from the grid by substation mercury arc rectifiers.)  Can anyone suggest a source of detailed information?

Children
No Data