This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

What are the actual benefits of a 'passive house'?

On my lunchtime walk around town I pass by a construction site on a local residential street where an old house has been demolished and a couple of ‘passive houses’ are being built on the patch of land. 

I don’t know an awful lot about passive houses but I’m wondering if they are really worth the £699,995 price tag that’s being asked for them? 

They’re basically a three bedroom bungalow with two bedrooms in the roof space (dormers and skylight as windows) and one bedroom downstairs with an open plan kitchen/diner/lounge. A standard three bedroom house in the town goes for anywhere around £300 to £400k.

Can you really justify the extra £300k+ price tag for a passive house’? 

Parents
  • Depends how long you expect it to stand, and the amount that would be spend heating it if it was not to that standard.

There is nothing magical about this, it is just construction optimised for low heat loss.

It seems however that many UK builders  not really to have mastered thinking logically about this, despite requirements for insulation entering the building standards in 1984.

It also depends how big the place is - when we are talking about a doubling in price it is steep, if it is a 20% increase, it seems more reasonable.

It may well not be all that  reasonable in this case - there may be an element of band wagon jumping to inflate profits.

Mike.
  • Depends how long you expect it to stand, and the amount that would be spend heating it if it was not to that standard.

There is nothing magical about this, it is just construction optimised for low heat loss.

It seems however that many UK builders  not really to have mastered thinking logically about this, despite requirements for insulation entering the building standards in 1984.

It also depends how big the place is - when we are talking about a doubling in price it is steep, if it is a 20% increase, it seems more reasonable.

It may well not be all that  reasonable in this case - there may be an element of band wagon jumping to inflate profits.

Mike.
Children
No Data