This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

What are the actual benefits of a 'passive house'?

On my lunchtime walk around town I pass by a construction site on a local residential street where an old house has been demolished and a couple of ‘passive houses’ are being built on the patch of land. 

I don’t know an awful lot about passive houses but I’m wondering if they are really worth the £699,995 price tag that’s being asked for them? 

They’re basically a three bedroom bungalow with two bedrooms in the roof space (dormers and skylight as windows) and one bedroom downstairs with an open plan kitchen/diner/lounge. A standard three bedroom house in the town goes for anywhere around £300 to £400k.

Can you really justify the extra £300k+ price tag for a passive house’? 

Parents
  • You may well be making exactly the right decision - there is a lot of waffle being created at the moment about saving energy by doing things that are actually a dead loss.  This will at some point meet reality with a loud bang and  a sense of disappointment, but we are not quite there, yet.

In addition modern UK housing seems to be designed around people sleeping there and doing precious little else, as there is no room to actually live. If we are serious about stopping folk commuting, and want to encourage more working from home, (which will currently save more energy than all the heating bills combined, but it is money taken out of a different pocket ) then this is moving in utterly the wrong direction.

Ideally houses need to get bigger, not smaller, with some space for kids to play etc.  more than one 'home office' room and have the provision to include all the facilities that one would expect to enjoy at an office-like  place of work.  They need to  be well insulated too, but that needs to be standard, not something you pay extra for, or folk will not.

Mike
  • You may well be making exactly the right decision - there is a lot of waffle being created at the moment about saving energy by doing things that are actually a dead loss.  This will at some point meet reality with a loud bang and  a sense of disappointment, but we are not quite there, yet.

In addition modern UK housing seems to be designed around people sleeping there and doing precious little else, as there is no room to actually live. If we are serious about stopping folk commuting, and want to encourage more working from home, (which will currently save more energy than all the heating bills combined, but it is money taken out of a different pocket ) then this is moving in utterly the wrong direction.

Ideally houses need to get bigger, not smaller, with some space for kids to play etc.  more than one 'home office' room and have the provision to include all the facilities that one would expect to enjoy at an office-like  place of work.  They need to  be well insulated too, but that needs to be standard, not something you pay extra for, or folk will not.

Mike
Children
No Data