This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

What are the actual benefits of a 'passive house'?

On my lunchtime walk around town I pass by a construction site on a local residential street where an old house has been demolished and a couple of ‘passive houses’ are being built on the patch of land. 

I don’t know an awful lot about passive houses but I’m wondering if they are really worth the £699,995 price tag that’s being asked for them? 

They’re basically a three bedroom bungalow with two bedrooms in the roof space (dormers and skylight as windows) and one bedroom downstairs with an open plan kitchen/diner/lounge. A standard three bedroom house in the town goes for anywhere around £300 to £400k.

Can you really justify the extra £300k+ price tag for a passive house’? 

Parents
  • For anyone interested; The IET Anglian Coastal Network hosted an excellent webinar presented by John Helleur MBE entitled "Active House vs Passivhaus - but is either enough?" last year (Nov 2020?).

In his presentation John draws upon his personal experience of building his own house to illustrate with practical examples the benefits and issues around building and living in an eco-friendly home. I won't say more than that in case I spoil the ending for you.

I've also included the link below which should take you straight to the Webinar on the IET Anglian and Coatal site, but in the event that I've got it wrong its easy enough to ecosia/duckduck/google/bing for (as I did) and you can find the the webinar on the videos tab - dated 23rd Nov 2020.

Active-house versus Passiv-haus - but is either enough?
  • For anyone interested; The IET Anglian Coastal Network hosted an excellent webinar presented by John Helleur MBE entitled "Active House vs Passivhaus - but is either enough?" last year (Nov 2020?).

In his presentation John draws upon his personal experience of building his own house to illustrate with practical examples the benefits and issues around building and living in an eco-friendly home. I won't say more than that in case I spoil the ending for you.

I've also included the link below which should take you straight to the Webinar on the IET Anglian and Coatal site, but in the event that I've got it wrong its easy enough to ecosia/duckduck/google/bing for (as I did) and you can find the the webinar on the videos tab - dated 23rd Nov 2020.

Active-house versus Passiv-haus - but is either enough?
Children
No Data