This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

How can we tackle decarbonisation of heating in existing homes?

Former Community Member
Former Community Member
Today’s best in class building and heating technologies provide many answers to the question – how will we tackle decarbonisation of heating in existing homes? Read our blog and comment below to let us know how we can embrace ‘best practice’, become an expert at it, and tell everyone that ‘good enough’ isn’t good enough anymore.

Parents
  • To answer the exam question: Costs of heat pump solution needs to be comparable to current gas boiler costs, preferably without subsidy. so we need to get lower installation costs, lower service charges and higher efficiency..  Air heat pumps are noisy and ugly too (Lets design better) and do not heat to a high enough temperature with standard radiators, so new builds must be underfloor heated and ground based heat pump where possible. Use smart meters to heat water cylinder at low cost off peak times (early morning). On existing properties need to get the price of air based heat pumps down and the service charges. Why so high? £250 pa quoted...see more below

Yesterday I helped a friend look at two options for heating his house, one a condensing boiler solution, the other an air based heat pump solution, complete with government grant. The energy consumption in KWH is reduced, maybe by a factor of 3. But the cost of electricity on my current EDF tariff is 5.8. times. The summary is that for similar heating, in a well insulated house ('A' rated glazing, cavity wall, OTT loft insulation) The heat pump solution costs an extra £31 pa on utility bills, assuming go all electric thus saving standing charge on Gas Heat pumps have longer life but cost more to replace and maintenance costs are quoted at £250 pa for the heat pump (£55 for gas) The overall cost comparison, including cost of replacement, every12 years for gas and 20 years for heat pump, include servicing too means heat pump solution costs an extra £400 pa approx (This is significant). CO2 would be less of course. Most of us want to go green, but not at any price. I wonder if current installers are 'making hay' while the sun shines, charging OTT for installation and maintenance. 

• To answer the exam question: Costs of heat pump solution needs to be comparable to current gas boiler costs, preferably without subsidy. so we need to get lower installation costs, lower service charges and higher efficiency..  Air heat pumps are noisy and ugly too (Lets design better) and do not heat to a high enough temperature with standard radiators, so new builds must be underfloor heated and ground based heat pump where possible. Use smart meters to heat water cylinder at low cost off peak times (early morning). On existing properties need to get the price of air based heat pumps down and the service charges. Why so high? £250 pa quoted...see more below

Yesterday I helped a friend look at two options for heating his house, one a condensing boiler solution, the other an air based heat pump solution, complete with government grant. The energy consumption in KWH is reduced, maybe by a factor of 3. But the cost of electricity on my current EDF tariff is 5.8. times. The summary is that for similar heating, in a well insulated house ('A' rated glazing, cavity wall, OTT loft insulation) The heat pump solution costs an extra £31 pa on utility bills, assuming go all electric thus saving standing charge on Gas Heat pumps have longer life but cost more to replace and maintenance costs are quoted at £250 pa for the heat pump (£55 for gas) The overall cost comparison, including cost of replacement, every12 years for gas and 20 years for heat pump, include servicing too means heat pump solution costs an extra £400 pa approx (This is significant). CO2 would be less of course. Most of us want to go green, but not at any price. I wonder if current installers are 'making hay' while the sun shines, charging OTT for installation and maintenance. 

Children
No Data