This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Electric Vehicles - Impact on electrical network. Survey of vehicle uptake.

Former Community Member
Former Community Member
Dear IET forum,

I am carrying out research into the impacts of the projected surge of electric vehicle uptake on the local network infrastructure. The results will be used as part of my Technical report for Ceng. Please could you spare 2 minutes completing the survey in the link below? Its very short I assure you and completely anonymous. My aim is to understand a sample of peoples views on them personally taking up ownership of electric vehicles and if the pandemic may have changed their future car ownership behaviours. 

When complete i can post the results here and if you are interested make a comment and i can send you the finished technical report.

Much appreciated, thank you in advance.!
https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/CC7GJSB

Parents
  • mmm well in impact terms I think the thinking has changed , in part because everyone was thinking the EV would somthing you plugged in and charged overnight , so all the various roadside charging and supermarket chargers were the first to appear , and then range scares changed the thinking to placing them at distances to take this worry away. The energy grid people (and myself a couple of years ago) thought we could only do night time charging and cross our fingers in peak load periods , that main distribution transformers didnt start glowing. 

EVs are still pretty rare but the running costs are attractive , and some people are wary of the battery replacment problem , as it devalues the actual non battery bit so much. 

The battery technology has come along , but no where near the recyclability that is needed , and if thinking about the enviromental problems that the spent batteries coould create , the first car maker that truly cracks the battery problem will see its rivals off , so its abit of race at the moment , high rate chargers damage batteries , as does charging discharging cycles , a charging regieme that makes battery last 3 times longer sooner or later will be a factor , at the moment everyone is thinking it will be 20 min charging , at mostly the supermarket , or seaside parking, and this is perhaps for EV users who dont have a drive to park on , as street charging can (although some loverly designs have been done to charge from lamposts or kerbside) . But and this is big but from a national infrastructure point of view the EV has big problems , AC has to be rectified to DC and unlike the efficiency of modern transformers , rectifiers at the moment have around a 4% energy loss , and that will add up. DC power from a renewbale could make DC charging stations , so a renewable can supply directly , but this AC to DC problem will start to focus on the equipment converstion efficiency in the EV charger , at the moment EV chargers are being rated on useability and easof payment and use , which is fine at this early stage , but the national grid must be thinking somewhere if 23 million people put there car on charge at 6pm on a friday in winter what could happen ??

The EV is new way of thinking and companies are finding solutions , infrastructure if specified wrong or poorly will place a big bill down the line , the batteries are improving , but not from the recycling perspective and its obvious to me that in changing to EVs it has to deliver true green technology over fossil fuel technology , or someone going to do a calculation that a 1 litre petrol engine really is better than 45kwh EV , other problem stats are for high speed running , where car aerodynamics are needed to make the battery go further , at the moment winter/cold weather running is thought to require 15% more electricty than summer temperature running , and high speed 70/80mph really does make range issues a problem as your battery can sudenly (particluary if has lost charge holding efficiency from new ) be less predicatable. 

If we have good batteries that recharge in less than 10 minutes , the whole pattern could change , but my guess is people will charge at home where they have a drive , and people that dont have a drive will charge at the supermarket or resturant or car park or work carpark , so i wouldnt rush on the street charging idea just yet . The right battery comes along and it could all change .
  • mmm well in impact terms I think the thinking has changed , in part because everyone was thinking the EV would somthing you plugged in and charged overnight , so all the various roadside charging and supermarket chargers were the first to appear , and then range scares changed the thinking to placing them at distances to take this worry away. The energy grid people (and myself a couple of years ago) thought we could only do night time charging and cross our fingers in peak load periods , that main distribution transformers didnt start glowing. 

EVs are still pretty rare but the running costs are attractive , and some people are wary of the battery replacment problem , as it devalues the actual non battery bit so much. 

The battery technology has come along , but no where near the recyclability that is needed , and if thinking about the enviromental problems that the spent batteries coould create , the first car maker that truly cracks the battery problem will see its rivals off , so its abit of race at the moment , high rate chargers damage batteries , as does charging discharging cycles , a charging regieme that makes battery last 3 times longer sooner or later will be a factor , at the moment everyone is thinking it will be 20 min charging , at mostly the supermarket , or seaside parking, and this is perhaps for EV users who dont have a drive to park on , as street charging can (although some loverly designs have been done to charge from lamposts or kerbside) . But and this is big but from a national infrastructure point of view the EV has big problems , AC has to be rectified to DC and unlike the efficiency of modern transformers , rectifiers at the moment have around a 4% energy loss , and that will add up. DC power from a renewbale could make DC charging stations , so a renewable can supply directly , but this AC to DC problem will start to focus on the equipment converstion efficiency in the EV charger , at the moment EV chargers are being rated on useability and easof payment and use , which is fine at this early stage , but the national grid must be thinking somewhere if 23 million people put there car on charge at 6pm on a friday in winter what could happen ??

The EV is new way of thinking and companies are finding solutions , infrastructure if specified wrong or poorly will place a big bill down the line , the batteries are improving , but not from the recycling perspective and its obvious to me that in changing to EVs it has to deliver true green technology over fossil fuel technology , or someone going to do a calculation that a 1 litre petrol engine really is better than 45kwh EV , other problem stats are for high speed running , where car aerodynamics are needed to make the battery go further , at the moment winter/cold weather running is thought to require 15% more electricty than summer temperature running , and high speed 70/80mph really does make range issues a problem as your battery can sudenly (particluary if has lost charge holding efficiency from new ) be less predicatable. 

If we have good batteries that recharge in less than 10 minutes , the whole pattern could change , but my guess is people will charge at home where they have a drive , and people that dont have a drive will charge at the supermarket or resturant or car park or work carpark , so i wouldnt rush on the street charging idea just yet . The right battery comes along and it could all change .
Children
No Data