This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Are hydrogen trains the way forward?

Former Community Member
Former Community Member
Last year a hydrogen-powered train travelled on Britain’s rail network with the aim to start carrying passengers by the end of 2021. What are your thoughts on hydrogen technology, key considerations, or risks? Comment below to share your thoughts!
Parents
  • Hello Vimal Bhagwani, welcome to the forum and thank you for your comments!

I just wanted to take a moment to respond to your comments, specifically about what happens to modern, liquid cooled, PEM-type hydrogen fuel cell engines when they operate in higher ambient temperatures, and in a similar way at altitudes significantly above sea level. I only mean to clarify on this point and to express that I agree with you that questions related to the availability and storage of the fuel are highly relevant to this discussion, in my view more that the technology to convert fuel to electricity (or another energy form for propulsion).

Operating a fuel cell engine in ambient temperatures commonly experienced in equatorial regions does not present an inherently increased hazard, such as the potential for a catastrophic failure like an explosion, than were the system to be deployed in temperate or polar regions.

There is an optimum temperature to run any given fuel cell at which enables steady and stable efficiency in generating electricity from the fuel (in this example hydrogen). The cooling system strives to keep the fuel cell very close to this temperature at all times. The capacity to do so, within the stated limits of the use (ambient temperatures and height above sea level) are guaranteed (or certainly should be!) by the manufacturer when they place the technology on the market.

Questions always welcome, thank you for your time, keep safe and have a nice day!

Joe
  • Hello Vimal Bhagwani, welcome to the forum and thank you for your comments!

I just wanted to take a moment to respond to your comments, specifically about what happens to modern, liquid cooled, PEM-type hydrogen fuel cell engines when they operate in higher ambient temperatures, and in a similar way at altitudes significantly above sea level. I only mean to clarify on this point and to express that I agree with you that questions related to the availability and storage of the fuel are highly relevant to this discussion, in my view more that the technology to convert fuel to electricity (or another energy form for propulsion).

Operating a fuel cell engine in ambient temperatures commonly experienced in equatorial regions does not present an inherently increased hazard, such as the potential for a catastrophic failure like an explosion, than were the system to be deployed in temperate or polar regions.

There is an optimum temperature to run any given fuel cell at which enables steady and stable efficiency in generating electricity from the fuel (in this example hydrogen). The cooling system strives to keep the fuel cell very close to this temperature at all times. The capacity to do so, within the stated limits of the use (ambient temperatures and height above sea level) are guaranteed (or certainly should be!) by the manufacturer when they place the technology on the market.

Questions always welcome, thank you for your time, keep safe and have a nice day!

Joe
Children
No Data