This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Would anyone with a visual impairment like to chat?

Former Community Member
Former Community Member
I have been visually impaired since birth and have 20/100 vision as well as a host of other issues related to being born with cataracts. I've been working as a Building services consultant since I left university and have really enjoyed my job, but a scare last year when I developed a detached retina has left me unsure about my future plans and how to manage the likely degeneration in my limited eyesight that will occur as I age. 

I'd be really interested to speak with other visually impaired people in technical roles, really just to see some other points of view from a similar situation as I don't know anyone else in the same position as me in real life. 

Amanda
Parents
  • Amanda Lewin:

I have been visually impaired since birth and have 20/100 vision as well as a host of other issues related to being born with cataracts. I've been working as a Building services consultant since I left university and have really enjoyed my job, but a scare last year when I developed a detached retina has left me unsure about my future plans and how to manage the likely degeneration in my limited eyesight that will occur as I age. 

I'd be really interested to speak with other visually impaired people in technical roles, really just to see some other points of view from a similar situation as I don't know anyone else in the same position as me in real life. 

Amanda 

Hello Amanda,

I am a hands on electrician. My left eye is o.k. and I can drive legally, but my right eye is poor and I find it difficult to focus properly and gauge distances. I  sometimes install things when the light is poor and I have to assemble fiddly things and insert small screws etc. I do actually do many tasks safely through muscle memory, like musicians remember chord patterns on the guitar without actually thinking about it.

I carry a small glass magnifying glass in my pocket if I have to read small print on things like miniature circuit breakers etc. I also have a small pocket torch that helps me to see poorly lit things.

We have to keep up to date with technical matters and wiring regulations so I have to be able to read for that. If ever I considered myself to be a danger whilst at work working with electricity I would think about retiring. (Any way I am well over 21).

Before bed I enjoy talking books on any subject. I bought a big box load of dramatized plays and comedies in cassette form cheaply from fleabay.  I don't mind old technology if it works o.k.

Good luck,

Z.

• Amanda Lewin:

Amanda 

Hello Amanda,

I am a hands on electrician. My left eye is o.k. and I can drive legally, but my right eye is poor and I find it difficult to focus properly and gauge distances. I  sometimes install things when the light is poor and I have to assemble fiddly things and insert small screws etc. I do actually do many tasks safely through muscle memory, like musicians remember chord patterns on the guitar without actually thinking about it.

I carry a small glass magnifying glass in my pocket if I have to read small print on things like miniature circuit breakers etc. I also have a small pocket torch that helps me to see poorly lit things.

We have to keep up to date with technical matters and wiring regulations so I have to be able to read for that. If ever I considered myself to be a danger whilst at work working with electricity I would think about retiring. (Any way I am well over 21).

Before bed I enjoy talking books on any subject. I bought a big box load of dramatized plays and comedies in cassette form cheaply from fleabay.  I don't mind old technology if it works o.k.

Good luck,

Z.

Children
No Data