This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Would anyone with a visual impairment like to chat?

Former Community Member
Former Community Member
I have been visually impaired since birth and have 20/100 vision as well as a host of other issues related to being born with cataracts. I've been working as a Building services consultant since I left university and have really enjoyed my job, but a scare last year when I developed a detached retina has left me unsure about my future plans and how to manage the likely degeneration in my limited eyesight that will occur as I age. 

I'd be really interested to speak with other visually impaired people in technical roles, really just to see some other points of view from a similar situation as I don't know anyone else in the same position as me in real life. 

Amanda
Parents
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Thanks for your reply Zoomup, as a consultant I do a lot of survey work and site inspections, and have a similar issue with reading MCB's etc. I can just about read them, but there are often situations I don't really want my face that close to the installation! I photograph and then zoom in on my camera screen to read things, and head torches are the best thing since sliced bread :) I'm good at adapting but like you say there will reach a point where its a safety issue, and I worry about missing that point if I end up with a slow deteriation. I'm hoping that I can still have worth as an M&E consultant without being able to visit site in the future, as retiring at 50 is probably not going to be an option!
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Thanks for your reply Zoomup, as a consultant I do a lot of survey work and site inspections, and have a similar issue with reading MCB's etc. I can just about read them, but there are often situations I don't really want my face that close to the installation! I photograph and then zoom in on my camera screen to read things, and head torches are the best thing since sliced bread :) I'm good at adapting but like you say there will reach a point where its a safety issue, and I worry about missing that point if I end up with a slow deteriation. I'm hoping that I can still have worth as an M&E consultant without being able to visit site in the future, as retiring at 50 is probably not going to be an option!
Children
No Data