This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Internship vs. Graduate Job

Former Community Member
Former Community Member

Hi,

I am currently a 3rd year MEng engineering student, but I have the option to leave this year with a BEng.

I currently have two job offers: one is a summer internship, the other is a full time graduate role.

However, I am not sure which one to take.

Graduate Job Benefits:

• Full time, permanent job

• Working in an area which is where I want to work

• In a city which I prefer

• No more school.

• No more applying to jobs

Graduate Job Negatives:

• Having a BEng as oppose to an MEng will prolong me becoming chartered

• Starting salary is nothing special

• No guarantee they will sponsor me to do an MSc (for chartership)

Summer Intern Benefits:

• Only 8 weeks

• I can go back to school and finish with an MEng/MSc which helps towards chartership

• Possibility for sponsorship through final year and guaranteed job

• I really liked the person who interviewed me

Summer Intern Negatives:

• No guarantee of a job/sponsorship afterwards

• In an expensive city and I would need to find accommodation.

• Not sure what exactly I'll be doing.

• Much smaller company than graduate job (but still a multinational)

One option I considered was doing both, since I could technically fit the 8-week summer placement in after my degree and before I start my graduate job, but that might end up being stressful.

If you were in my position, what would you choose?

Thanks.

Parents
  • I think the question here is about the BEng to secure job vs MEng rather than the internship, which is certainly valuable but not the crux of the matter. Neither is the MEng/CEng connection particularly important - that'll be possible on either route if you are doing the right work.

Option 1: It's a bit cheeky but what about the following: you ask the lovely company who want to employ you if they would defer the position for a year to allow you to finish your MEng? They'll probably say no, but it's not a stupid thing to ask.

Option 2: If you are sure about the sponsorship through your final year and a guaranteed job afterwards on the MEng route, then surely this would be a goer? Assuming its an area you want to go into.

Option 3: Finish with a BEng, take the job.

Don't do the internship and then start a graduate job.

For what it's worth, 11 years ago I took the 3rd year -> summer internship -> 4th year MEng -> job route.

• I think the question here is about the BEng to secure job vs MEng rather than the internship, which is certainly valuable but not the crux of the matter. Neither is the MEng/CEng connection particularly important - that'll be possible on either route if you are doing the right work.

Option 1: It's a bit cheeky but what about the following: you ask the lovely company who want to employ you if they would defer the position for a year to allow you to finish your MEng? They'll probably say no, but it's not a stupid thing to ask.

Option 2: If you are sure about the sponsorship through your final year and a guaranteed job afterwards on the MEng route, then surely this would be a goer? Assuming its an area you want to go into.

Option 3: Finish with a BEng, take the job.

Don't do the internship and then start a graduate job.

For what it's worth, 11 years ago I took the 3rd year -> summer internship -> 4th year MEng -> job route.

Children
No Data