This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Recognition distance learning HND + BEng

Former Community Member
Former Community Member
Dear, 

I'm a 26 y.o guy from the Netherlands. I'm currently working as a maintenance technician. Unfortunately without any diploma I can't evolve to a manager position. While looking online, I found a distance learning HND program in mechanical engineering (at Teesside University). It looks like it's equivalent to a 2 year university program and with 2 additional study years, I could obtain a BEng Top-up degree (distance learning Portsmouth university).

But I couldn't find any accreditation for those programs, so I was wondering what's their value with employers? 

As I'm not used to this accreditation system: how important is an accreditation ?

I understand that all BEng are honours degree, does this mean that I could follow a Msc degree after and get a Ceng accreditation? 

Last but not least, my girlfriend is Canadian, and who knows we might go live there one day. I found an old topic that Open University (online) degrees were not recognized because it wasn't on the Engineering Council's list. https://communities.theiet.org/discussions/viewtopic/795/13598

Did that change or it might be still a problem if we ever move over there? 

Thank you! 

Parents
  • Regarding Canada, I don't believe that whether a degree is Washington accord or not matters too much for PEng, see the requirements for e.g. Ontario here: https://www.peo.on.ca/licence-applications/become-professional-engineer/general-academic-requirements basically they assess each non-Canadian degree separately on each application. But other states in Canada may be different. In the end, I think if you can find a company in Canada that will employ you (which you realistically need first anyway in order to get PEng) then it will get sorted. 

Regarding your first question, in a previous UK company I worked for we used to regularly sponsor staff through two year top up programmes to take their HNDs to BEng. Those who decided to leave the company seemed to find other jobs with no problem at all! In my experience most UK employers simply don't know enough about the different degree programmes for it to matter - there are hundreds (thousands?) of different engineering degree programmes in the UK alone, and the poor engineering manager is quite busy enough doing their day job without spending time worrying about which exact degree a candidate has. HR departments do worry about degree grades (because that's an easy thing to measure to reject CVs if you have too many applicants), so my advice is to find the degree which you're likely to enjoy the most and therefore get the best grade in. 

However, one word of caution, an HND is not the same as the first 1 to 2 years of a degree. An HND is a vocational course ("this is how to do the stuff we already know about"), a degree is an academic course ("this is how to think about solving a problem we haven't even thought of yet"). Topping up an HND is hard work, as mentioned I've seen many do it, in particular typically a lot of additional maths study may be required. It can still be a really good thing to do, just be prepared for that change in direction. 

Cheers,

Andy

• Regarding Canada, I don't believe that whether a degree is Washington accord or not matters too much for PEng, see the requirements for e.g. Ontario here: https://www.peo.on.ca/licence-applications/become-professional-engineer/general-academic-requirements basically they assess each non-Canadian degree separately on each application. But other states in Canada may be different. In the end, I think if you can find a company in Canada that will employ you (which you realistically need first anyway in order to get PEng) then it will get sorted. 

Regarding your first question, in a previous UK company I worked for we used to regularly sponsor staff through two year top up programmes to take their HNDs to BEng. Those who decided to leave the company seemed to find other jobs with no problem at all! In my experience most UK employers simply don't know enough about the different degree programmes for it to matter - there are hundreds (thousands?) of different engineering degree programmes in the UK alone, and the poor engineering manager is quite busy enough doing their day job without spending time worrying about which exact degree a candidate has. HR departments do worry about degree grades (because that's an easy thing to measure to reject CVs if you have too many applicants), so my advice is to find the degree which you're likely to enjoy the most and therefore get the best grade in. 

However, one word of caution, an HND is not the same as the first 1 to 2 years of a degree. An HND is a vocational course ("this is how to do the stuff we already know about"), a degree is an academic course ("this is how to think about solving a problem we haven't even thought of yet"). Topping up an HND is hard work, as mentioned I've seen many do it, in particular typically a lot of additional maths study may be required. It can still be a really good thing to do, just be prepared for that change in direction. 

Cheers,

Andy

Children
No Data