This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Electricity supply to Jersey under threat.

TPTB in France have threatened to cut of the power to the island of Jersey as part of an ongoing dispute.

Jersey is very reliant on power from France via several submarine cables.

What I can not find is any up to date information on 

Maximum demand on Jersey

Average demand.

On island generating capacity.

Contingency plans for extra generation.

Contingency plans for load shedding.

I would urge that we confine ourselves to the strictly ELECTRICAL aspects and refrain from political or brexit related arguments.
Parents
  • There was actually talk of a UK Guernsey interconnector at one point, but it would almost certainly need to be DC

( as an aside I think the Isle of Man have the current world record for the longest 3 phase AC undersea extension lead, at about 60 miles at 90kV phase to phase and 40MW  Alan Capon would know better as he lives there )

Personally I  think the impracticality of the UK Guernsey route plus a general restriction of the wallet means that it will remain at the 'draft plan' stage.

The briefest look at the map suggests it would make more sense to hook up the other channel islands first, or even to install wind turbines in the sea nearby.

Mike

• There was actually talk of a UK Guernsey interconnector at one point, but it would almost certainly need to be DC

( as an aside I think the Isle of Man have the current world record for the longest 3 phase AC undersea extension lead, at about 60 miles at 90kV phase to phase and 40MW  Alan Capon would know better as he lives there )

Personally I  think the impracticality of the UK Guernsey route plus a general restriction of the wallet means that it will remain at the 'draft plan' stage.

The briefest look at the map suggests it would make more sense to hook up the other channel islands first, or even to install wind turbines in the sea nearby.

Mike

Children
No Data