This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Is there a deficit of engineering principle as a result of the UK skills gap?

I'm extremely proud to finally be able to share this with everyone, the publication is linked in the below article, alternatively this can be found on my profile. PLEASE take some time to have a read, feedback is appreciated.

https://lnkd.in/g5cPMrS

#apprentice #apprenticeships #engineering #graduateengineer #skills #author #skillsgap #ukmanufacturing #diversity

Parents
  • Hello Harry,

Thankyou for not only taking the time to read my research but also understand it. I think the majority of engineers will agree 100% with your comments. I myself undertook an apprenticeship and continued all the way (part time) to doing a masters degree, and this route has been exciting and educating and has also given me the balance of been a very practical engineer whilst also been very scientific and technical. The degree apprenticeship is the best course currently available to young people and it is quite frustrating that this is only available in specific places. From what I have done (i.e apprenticeship all the way to university) and the my personal conclusion I came to understand when performing the research I believe the education of young engineers should be split into three catagories as follows:  

Apprenticeship - the apprenticeship should encompass a HNC level qualification giving the individual advance technical knowledge in addition to practical skills. The end qualification should allow the individual the ability to progress onto a part time bachelor's degree. Apprentice ship schemes offered should be condensed to the following catagories: Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Fabrication and Welding. At the end of the apprentice ship (inc the HNC) the individual can hold the title "Engineer". If the apprentice undertakes the 3 year version in which they do not have the HNC then they can only hold the title of "Technician" until they perform further education. 

Degree - A degree designed for someone who's mind is more technically biased which will involve them undertaking advance mathematics and scientific methods and small amounts of practical engineering. Upon graduation they can hold the title "Technical Technician", course can be made available to help these individuals progress into holding the "Engineer" title. 

Degree Apprenticeship - having mixed the advanced scientific knowledge, the workplace experience and the practical skills training. Upon graduating this course the individual can hold the title "Technical Engineer".

I feel if more defined paths of engineering were given and awarded titles were controlled more this would lead to more individuals  been more qualified and better skilled, and with the three levels of training available this would allow the engineering teams in a workplace to be more centered and knowledgeable.
  • Hello Harry,

Thankyou for not only taking the time to read my research but also understand it. I think the majority of engineers will agree 100% with your comments. I myself undertook an apprenticeship and continued all the way (part time) to doing a masters degree, and this route has been exciting and educating and has also given me the balance of been a very practical engineer whilst also been very scientific and technical. The degree apprenticeship is the best course currently available to young people and it is quite frustrating that this is only available in specific places. From what I have done (i.e apprenticeship all the way to university) and the my personal conclusion I came to understand when performing the research I believe the education of young engineers should be split into three catagories as follows:  

Apprenticeship - the apprenticeship should encompass a HNC level qualification giving the individual advance technical knowledge in addition to practical skills. The end qualification should allow the individual the ability to progress onto a part time bachelor's degree. Apprentice ship schemes offered should be condensed to the following catagories: Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Fabrication and Welding. At the end of the apprentice ship (inc the HNC) the individual can hold the title "Engineer". If the apprentice undertakes the 3 year version in which they do not have the HNC then they can only hold the title of "Technician" until they perform further education. 

Degree - A degree designed for someone who's mind is more technically biased which will involve them undertaking advance mathematics and scientific methods and small amounts of practical engineering. Upon graduation they can hold the title "Technical Technician", course can be made available to help these individuals progress into holding the "Engineer" title. 

Degree Apprenticeship - having mixed the advanced scientific knowledge, the workplace experience and the practical skills training. Upon graduating this course the individual can hold the title "Technical Engineer".

I feel if more defined paths of engineering were given and awarded titles were controlled more this would lead to more individuals  been more qualified and better skilled, and with the three levels of training available this would allow the engineering teams in a workplace to be more centered and knowledgeable.
Children
No Data