This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Is there a deficit of engineering principle as a result of the UK skills gap?

I'm extremely proud to finally be able to share this with everyone, the publication is linked in the below article, alternatively this can be found on my profile. PLEASE take some time to have a read, feedback is appreciated.

https://lnkd.in/g5cPMrS

#apprentice #apprenticeships #engineering #graduateengineer #skills #author #skillsgap #ukmanufacturing #diversity

Parents
  • I can only add my agreement to the above (both Sam & Harry). Apprenticeships are still hugely undervalued by most of society, especially by those in academia (or so it seems to me). Very few people know what they want to do at age 16 or even 18 so it is important that links between different pathways are maintained, both academically and in employment/training.

A little anecdote from my past:- as an apprentice we had folks turn up from university outside of term time (they were sponsored). They would then be 2 or three years older than us, but seemed almost childlike and naive in the ways of the world. Were we arrogant teenagers? yes of course, but there was still some truth in it. They largely lived in a cosseted world, looked after by the university. That is obviously not true of all, but it seemed many would have a lot of catching up to do once they joined the "real world".

Having done a few courses over the years (TEC/HNC/degree level, all part time) I really value the opportunities they gave me with the course material being only a small part of what I learned. Giving folks a chance to switch from technician type jobs to those requiring more academic qualifications can only be a good thing. Allow people a chance to go to the level they are comfortable with, which also works both ways.
  • I can only add my agreement to the above (both Sam & Harry). Apprenticeships are still hugely undervalued by most of society, especially by those in academia (or so it seems to me). Very few people know what they want to do at age 16 or even 18 so it is important that links between different pathways are maintained, both academically and in employment/training.

A little anecdote from my past:- as an apprentice we had folks turn up from university outside of term time (they were sponsored). They would then be 2 or three years older than us, but seemed almost childlike and naive in the ways of the world. Were we arrogant teenagers? yes of course, but there was still some truth in it. They largely lived in a cosseted world, looked after by the university. That is obviously not true of all, but it seemed many would have a lot of catching up to do once they joined the "real world".

Having done a few courses over the years (TEC/HNC/degree level, all part time) I really value the opportunities they gave me with the course material being only a small part of what I learned. Giving folks a chance to switch from technician type jobs to those requiring more academic qualifications can only be a good thing. Allow people a chance to go to the level they are comfortable with, which also works both ways.
Children
No Data