This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Is there a deficit of engineering principle as a result of the UK skills gap?

I'm extremely proud to finally be able to share this with everyone, the publication is linked in the below article, alternatively this can be found on my profile. PLEASE take some time to have a read, feedback is appreciated.

https://lnkd.in/g5cPMrS

#apprentice #apprenticeships #engineering #graduateengineer #skills #author #skillsgap #ukmanufacturing #diversity

Parents
  • I've skim read the document, a worthy excersize. Thankyou. I came up through the YTS apprentice route, had to self fund it after year 1, then paid for my own college on day release and lost a days pay to attend college up to 21 years old. So no support given from employers or government at a time when university was free (late 1980's). So I accept that I'm on my own from day one. (which suited me as there was general chaos in industry as manufacturing slowly got eroded) The college course I was on started with 60 electrical apprentices in year one by year 4 (technicians course) there were 7 of us left. There were manufacturing jobs to be had in my early career but things steadily moved to services. (which is where we are today). Question is do we want to manufacture? Do we need to manufacture? If so get on with it and have it supported by the government. (no support equals no manufacturing).

As for the term Engineer, I've been working in electrical installation for 38 years and don't feel worthy of the title, 'sparky's' a better fit. Though most electrician's I've met through my career are just fairly skilled labour unable to quote ohm's law.

Cheers
  • I've skim read the document, a worthy excersize. Thankyou. I came up through the YTS apprentice route, had to self fund it after year 1, then paid for my own college on day release and lost a days pay to attend college up to 21 years old. So no support given from employers or government at a time when university was free (late 1980's). So I accept that I'm on my own from day one. (which suited me as there was general chaos in industry as manufacturing slowly got eroded) The college course I was on started with 60 electrical apprentices in year one by year 4 (technicians course) there were 7 of us left. There were manufacturing jobs to be had in my early career but things steadily moved to services. (which is where we are today). Question is do we want to manufacture? Do we need to manufacture? If so get on with it and have it supported by the government. (no support equals no manufacturing).

As for the term Engineer, I've been working in electrical installation for 38 years and don't feel worthy of the title, 'sparky's' a better fit. Though most electrician's I've met through my career are just fairly skilled labour unable to quote ohm's law.

Cheers
Children
No Data