This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Automatic Software Update National Management Firewall Needed

Former Community Member
Former Community Member
Often, a person on the computer may find that their computers are asking for a delay to their activities, as it has to perform certain "updates". This creates an un-necessary delay to the undertakings of the person, and in a business environment, this would be a major risk for business activities and business failures.

Also, when developing online software products, if some of the underlying software infrastructure is automatically updated, this may also cause a crash of the web server (actually happened to me!). 

This urgently calls for a National Infrastructure to monitor and release any software that is being sent online, especially for critical digital infrastructures such as Operating Systems, Web Technologies etc. A 'Firewall' for software updates that adheres to, engages and complies with the digital market environment has to be implemented. 

Otherwise, quite literally, we are at the mercy of a seemingly well-intending "Update" that simply destroys our time and work.
Parents
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    On Linux, updates are completely transparent to the user (no business downtime) and most of the time they don't require a reboot.

Windows handles updates terribly - not to mention that they often introduce new defects. It's the system that is wrong, badly designed, and has grown so bloaty that Microsoft can't get a grasp on it.

Having a government organisation to assess whether every single update on every single OS should be rolled out is completely impractical - think of the amount of overhead that it would cause.

However I agree that in some environments auto-installing updates can be dangerous. In the telco industry, where I worked for 20 years, every patch required extensive testing to ensure it wouldn't introduce side effects.

• Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    On Linux, updates are completely transparent to the user (no business downtime) and most of the time they don't require a reboot.

Windows handles updates terribly - not to mention that they often introduce new defects. It's the system that is wrong, badly designed, and has grown so bloaty that Microsoft can't get a grasp on it.

Having a government organisation to assess whether every single update on every single OS should be rolled out is completely impractical - think of the amount of overhead that it would cause.

However I agree that in some environments auto-installing updates can be dangerous. In the telco industry, where I worked for 20 years, every patch required extensive testing to ensure it wouldn't introduce side effects.

Children
No Data