This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Automatic Software Update National Management Firewall Needed

Former Community Member
Former Community Member
Often, a person on the computer may find that their computers are asking for a delay to their activities, as it has to perform certain "updates". This creates an un-necessary delay to the undertakings of the person, and in a business environment, this would be a major risk for business activities and business failures.

Also, when developing online software products, if some of the underlying software infrastructure is automatically updated, this may also cause a crash of the web server (actually happened to me!). 

This urgently calls for a National Infrastructure to monitor and release any software that is being sent online, especially for critical digital infrastructures such as Operating Systems, Web Technologies etc. A 'Firewall' for software updates that adheres to, engages and complies with the digital market environment has to be implemented. 

Otherwise, quite literally, we are at the mercy of a seemingly well-intending "Update" that simply destroys our time and work.
Parents
  • In my very limited Linux experience, updates are completely transparent to the user until they stop without warning.

A few years back, I downloaded the latest version of Linux Mint.  For a few months, it got regular updates.  Then I got warnings from Firefox that it was out-of-date.  It turns out that the version I had installed was abandoned within one year.  There was no update path other than installing a whole new copy of the operating system over the top of my old one.  If I did that, there was no guarantee that my files and settings would be preserved.

At least Microsoft gives several years of support for their operating systems.
  • In my very limited Linux experience, updates are completely transparent to the user until they stop without warning.

A few years back, I downloaded the latest version of Linux Mint.  For a few months, it got regular updates.  Then I got warnings from Firefox that it was out-of-date.  It turns out that the version I had installed was abandoned within one year.  There was no update path other than installing a whole new copy of the operating system over the top of my old one.  If I did that, there was no guarantee that my files and settings would be preserved.

At least Microsoft gives several years of support for their operating systems.
Children
No Data