This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

What does ‘Design is everything’ mean to you?

Former Community Member
Former Community Member

We want to lead a discussion on the importance of design in helping society, governments and businesses to engineer a better world. We think design is everything and we want to help engineers to champion design in their everyday lives to reconnect with their ‘inner design-self’ and get company leaders within engineering and technology to embed ‘design as strategy’. Most importantly, we would love to hear from you! What does design is everything mean to you? Comment below to let us know! We’ll be collecting your contributions and creating an online scrapbook of ideas received. You can also find out more in our Design Hub.

Parents
  • Apologies, rant-ette coming...

I do get frustrated, and have done for the past 30 years or so, with the concept that there are "designers" who are brilliant, creative, artistic individuals, and "engineers" who are plodding implementers (or fixers). I came into the profession, as an engineer, because I wanted to design new stuff to solve problems, and pretty much have done (or latterly have helped other to) ever since. To me "design" and "engineering" are synonymous.

I suppose the problem is that this isn't the public perception. "Design" has that creative cachet that "engineering" doesn't. However I personally don't feel that encouraging the use of "design" as a thing by itself helps. If this started "We want to lead a discussion on the importance of design engineering in helping society..." I'd feel much more supportive. 

It does seem to be very much a UK (and perhaps US?) problem, mainland European countries and far eastern countries do seem in my experience to have a better idea that it's the engineer who creatively solves the problems? 

Rantette over!

Cheers,

Andy
  • Apologies, rant-ette coming...

I do get frustrated, and have done for the past 30 years or so, with the concept that there are "designers" who are brilliant, creative, artistic individuals, and "engineers" who are plodding implementers (or fixers). I came into the profession, as an engineer, because I wanted to design new stuff to solve problems, and pretty much have done (or latterly have helped other to) ever since. To me "design" and "engineering" are synonymous.

I suppose the problem is that this isn't the public perception. "Design" has that creative cachet that "engineering" doesn't. However I personally don't feel that encouraging the use of "design" as a thing by itself helps. If this started "We want to lead a discussion on the importance of design engineering in helping society..." I'd feel much more supportive. 

It does seem to be very much a UK (and perhaps US?) problem, mainland European countries and far eastern countries do seem in my experience to have a better idea that it's the engineer who creatively solves the problems? 

Rantette over!

Cheers,

Andy
Children
No Data