This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

What does ‘Design is everything’ mean to you?

Former Community Member
Former Community Member

We want to lead a discussion on the importance of design in helping society, governments and businesses to engineer a better world. We think design is everything and we want to help engineers to champion design in their everyday lives to reconnect with their ‘inner design-self’ and get company leaders within engineering and technology to embed ‘design as strategy’. Most importantly, we would love to hear from you! What does design is everything mean to you? Comment below to let us know! We’ll be collecting your contributions and creating an online scrapbook of ideas received. You can also find out more in our Design Hub.

Parents
  • What does ‘Design is everything’ mean to you?

A certain shallowness certainly.. . Especially if ,as  I suspect/fear,  the authors idea of  design just  means the arty stuff involving whiteboards and CAD.

A full cycle involves prototypes, destruction tests, thermal profiling reliability profiling,  user trials,  re-spins and up-issues, and in the electrical/ electronics game, type approvals, COSH and a whole host of stuff often to be almost finalised before any copper hits the etch tank or cutters touch metal. 

Poor designs, and there are plenty, may fail because of being over price, unreliable, un-recyclable, and many other modes all engineering matters - arguably part of the 'design process'.

To the problem solving mind, the engineer if you will, such a discussion  is about has helpful as saying "don't forget to breathe"  because both constantly looking at the world through the lens of how things could be improved, and regular oxygenation,  are equally automatic to those of us in that group.

Did we just mean 'do a good job' ?

The phrase itself is like 'one death is too many' or 'think out of the box', just a catchphrase.

So, who is the target audience for this video ? (I suspect it's not me.) 

And what is the problem to which it is supposed to be a solution ? (I suspect it may not be.)

Mike.

• What does ‘Design is everything’ mean to you?

A certain shallowness certainly.. . Especially if ,as  I suspect/fear,  the authors idea of  design just  means the arty stuff involving whiteboards and CAD.

A full cycle involves prototypes, destruction tests, thermal profiling reliability profiling,  user trials,  re-spins and up-issues, and in the electrical/ electronics game, type approvals, COSH and a whole host of stuff often to be almost finalised before any copper hits the etch tank or cutters touch metal. 

Poor designs, and there are plenty, may fail because of being over price, unreliable, un-recyclable, and many other modes all engineering matters - arguably part of the 'design process'.

To the problem solving mind, the engineer if you will, such a discussion  is about has helpful as saying "don't forget to breathe"  because both constantly looking at the world through the lens of how things could be improved, and regular oxygenation,  are equally automatic to those of us in that group.

Did we just mean 'do a good job' ?

The phrase itself is like 'one death is too many' or 'think out of the box', just a catchphrase.

So, who is the target audience for this video ? (I suspect it's not me.) 

And what is the problem to which it is supposed to be a solution ? (I suspect it may not be.)

Mike.

Children
No Data