This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

80 years ago today, 9th May 1941

Muenchen

Sorry that it is rather cryptic!       ?

Clive
Parents
  • Yes, Enigma is what I was looking for, but there is a twist. 

The Muenchen was a German weathership which was boarded on 7th May and whilst its Captain had thrown their Enigma over the side, the coding tables had been left on his desk.  The coding tables were then taken to Bletchley Park where, I understand, they were used from 9th May 1941.

The capture of the U-110's Enigma by Royal Navy personnel on 9th May 1941. Strangely(?) in the film U-571 it was the US Navy who boarded the submarine, whereas it was not until June 1944 that they managed the same feat.

Another enigma perhaps, is that I was one of the last to receive an Enigma encoded message on shortwave in Morse code.....

Cheers!

Clive
  • Yes, Enigma is what I was looking for, but there is a twist. 

The Muenchen was a German weathership which was boarded on 7th May and whilst its Captain had thrown their Enigma over the side, the coding tables had been left on his desk.  The coding tables were then taken to Bletchley Park where, I understand, they were used from 9th May 1941.

The capture of the U-110's Enigma by Royal Navy personnel on 9th May 1941. Strangely(?) in the film U-571 it was the US Navy who boarded the submarine, whereas it was not until June 1944 that they managed the same feat.

Another enigma perhaps, is that I was one of the last to receive an Enigma encoded message on shortwave in Morse code.....

Cheers!

Clive
Children
No Data