This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Electric Trucks and Buses

This firm seems to be putting a lot of effort into real sized electric trucks. There are a few running around here but I understand the Swiss taxation of HGVs makes this possible (as with the hydrogen fuel cell trucks).

Electric Trucks | Utility Vehicles | E-Trucks | Futuricum

Berlin had a few range issues with its battery buses during the cold spell and had to make the last few runs will diesels. It appears the busses did not deliver there specified low temperature range. This article is a bit negative but in the end says it was a limited problem.

https://notrickszone.com/2021/02/17/green-folly-berlins-city-e-buses-leave-passengers-out-in-the-cold-diesel-buses-to-the-rescue/

Personally I will be happy if the early morning buses and trucks are electric but I'm not sure if it is really economical.
Parents
  • The buses here are already double glazed however they have to deal with a wider temperature range than the UK. Heating, lighting and aircon is also a problem for railways and a number of non-electrified passenger trains have had additional generating sets so as not to starve the traction power.

As a slight aside we took a short break in the Engadin during the cold period, deciding for various reasons to drive rather than take the train as usual. The car, a 12year old Touran 1.9TDI, stood outside for a few days with overnight temperatures under -20°C. The morning we left it was -18°C. The engine started at the first attempt and the idling fuel consumption was 2.6l/h. When I took my foot off the clutch pedal it rose to 2.8l/h (always disengage the clutch when starting, in these temperatures it makes a difference). The normal idling consumption is 0.6-0.7l/h.
    Starting to drive back at 50mph up a slight incline (the Engadin doesn’t do flat) the engine temperature was falling, all the waste heat was going into the cabin. At the Verina tunnel we had to stop in a covered area to wait for the next shuttle followed by a 20 minute ride on the train all with no heat from the engine. We were aware of this and had worn our ski suits otherwise it would have been rather cold.

• The buses here are already double glazed however they have to deal with a wider temperature range than the UK. Heating, lighting and aircon is also a problem for railways and a number of non-electrified passenger trains have had additional generating sets so as not to starve the traction power.

As a slight aside we took a short break in the Engadin during the cold period, deciding for various reasons to drive rather than take the train as usual. The car, a 12year old Touran 1.9TDI, stood outside for a few days with overnight temperatures under -20°C. The morning we left it was -18°C. The engine started at the first attempt and the idling fuel consumption was 2.6l/h. When I took my foot off the clutch pedal it rose to 2.8l/h (always disengage the clutch when starting, in these temperatures it makes a difference). The normal idling consumption is 0.6-0.7l/h.
    Starting to drive back at 50mph up a slight incline (the Engadin doesn’t do flat) the engine temperature was falling, all the waste heat was going into the cabin. At the Verina tunnel we had to stop in a covered area to wait for the next shuttle followed by a 20 minute ride on the train all with no heat from the engine. We were aware of this and had worn our ski suits otherwise it would have been rather cold.

Children
No Data