This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Coal Generation G7.

Many old coal mines had their own electrical generators. They were self sufficient and had a good reliable supply for essential equipment like ventilation fans, water pumps, winder winch, lifting gear and coal cutters etc.  In the U.K. in about 1950 colliery generating plants were shut down and the supplies were obtained from the Electricity Boards. This was a bit of a shame really, as unmarketable grades of coal could be used at the colliery generating plants' boilers.

Now Old King Coal is an enemy it appears.

G7 to agree tough measures on burning coal to tackle climate change - BBC News

Z.
Parents
  • AJJewsbury:
    Can't the nasty fumes be filtered?

In principle yes - you could use a combination of flue gas desulfurization and carbon capture and storage (CCS). But it's expensive (making other sources far more attractive economically) and with CCS you're left with the problem of what do do with all the waste CO2 - which doesn't naturally degrade into anything less problematic and will cause all the havoc you're trying to avoid if it ever escapes back into the atmosphere (in some ways reminiscent of the problems of nuclear waste).

I don't think that there is any doubt that the climate has been getting warmer

Ref. CO2. Just pump it into tomato green houses to promote growth.

My neighbour said that he had to turn his flat heating on longer this year, up until about three weeks ago. Global warming, no, I don't think so. It has only recently got warm in the U.K. and it is nearly the longest day.

Z.

• AJJewsbury:
    Can't the nasty fumes be filtered?

In principle yes - you could use a combination of flue gas desulfurization and carbon capture and storage (CCS). But it's expensive (making other sources far more attractive economically) and with CCS you're left with the problem of what do do with all the waste CO2 - which doesn't naturally degrade into anything less problematic and will cause all the havoc you're trying to avoid if it ever escapes back into the atmosphere (in some ways reminiscent of the problems of nuclear waste).

I don't think that there is any doubt that the climate has been getting warmer

Ref. CO2. Just pump it into tomato green houses to promote growth.

My neighbour said that he had to turn his flat heating on longer this year, up until about three weeks ago. Global warming, no, I don't think so. It has only recently got warm in the U.K. and it is nearly the longest day.

Z.

Children
No Data