This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

EV Chargers located at commercial premises - or lack of?

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/touring-electric-coach-stranded-eden-5524525

Oh dear!

The Shell 170 kW charger is a big beast, a couple of those would likely hit the local network? Although perhaps not that day...

Clive
Parents
  • broadgage:

It seems to me that the whole business of charging electric vehicles has been made over complicated, and therefore more costly and less reliable than one might hope for.

It would have been better in my view for the charging circuit to be built into the vehicle, and only requiring the connection of a mains input. A simple mechanical keyway on the connection could "tell" the charger what supply was available. A choice of four supplies would meet almost all requirements.

Single phase 13 amp

Single phase 32 amp

Three phase 32 amp

three phase 63 amp.

For trucks, buses and electric trains, perhaps add 125 amp at 690 volts.

But that doesn't allow for dynamic charging rates.  That could be a bank of roadside chargers, all fed off a single supply, or else a domestic charger sharing a 60A house supply with all the other appliances.  Type 2 charge points should be able to re-negotiate the power availability on-the-fly.

• broadgage:

It seems to me that the whole business of charging electric vehicles has been made over complicated, and therefore more costly and less reliable than one might hope for.

It would have been better in my view for the charging circuit to be built into the vehicle, and only requiring the connection of a mains input. A simple mechanical keyway on the connection could "tell" the charger what supply was available. A choice of four supplies would meet almost all requirements.

Single phase 13 amp

Single phase 32 amp

Three phase 32 amp

three phase 63 amp.

For trucks, buses and electric trains, perhaps add 125 amp at 690 volts.

But that doesn't allow for dynamic charging rates.  That could be a bank of roadside chargers, all fed off a single supply, or else a domestic charger sharing a 60A house supply with all the other appliances.  Type 2 charge points should be able to re-negotiate the power availability on-the-fly.

Children
No Data