This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

EV Chargers located at commercial premises - or lack of?

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/touring-electric-coach-stranded-eden-5524525

Oh dear!

The Shell 170 kW charger is a big beast, a couple of those would likely hit the local network? Although perhaps not that day...

Clive
Parents
  • Simon, you haven't read what I wrote very carefully. The wireless reads the car VIN number, checks the owner and plate number, and checks with the driver this is the one to charge. Wireless is simple and very reliable, much more so than this 1 pin communication lark. As you say the Tesla system is good. It could adapt to any other, older car with a short "smart" socket conversion lead.

DC charging is a weight bodge, it saves a few kilogrammes but needs yet another charger, plug etc. It is a bit like running oil-fueled cars with about 10 different fuels, it WILL die the death and this method will take over because it better, cheaper, and much simpler. No cars need to be scrapped, just a short cable and you can use any charger (even a Tesla one) anywhere. You see the manufacturers don't really want any compatibility, except that they don't pay for the chargers or infrastructure. It is probably time that they did

I suppose you know that the signalling system means that the charger needs a much more expensive RCD because it is basically DC? The whole lot is simply rubbish design to reduce the manufacturer's cost by a few pounds, at the expense of others. It is not even a proper comms interface, just simple DC levels and tones, why not ethernet or even RS232? Because it saved a few pence I suspect!

• Simon, you haven't read what I wrote very carefully. The wireless reads the car VIN number, checks the owner and plate number, and checks with the driver this is the one to charge. Wireless is simple and very reliable, much more so than this 1 pin communication lark. As you say the Tesla system is good. It could adapt to any other, older car with a short "smart" socket conversion lead.

DC charging is a weight bodge, it saves a few kilogrammes but needs yet another charger, plug etc. It is a bit like running oil-fueled cars with about 10 different fuels, it WILL die the death and this method will take over because it better, cheaper, and much simpler. No cars need to be scrapped, just a short cable and you can use any charger (even a Tesla one) anywhere. You see the manufacturers don't really want any compatibility, except that they don't pay for the chargers or infrastructure. It is probably time that they did

I suppose you know that the signalling system means that the charger needs a much more expensive RCD because it is basically DC? The whole lot is simply rubbish design to reduce the manufacturer's cost by a few pounds, at the expense of others. It is not even a proper comms interface, just simple DC levels and tones, why not ethernet or even RS232? Because it saved a few pence I suspect!

Children
No Data