This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Private wire from a wind turbine

Hi, does anyone have any information on bringing a private wire from an adjacent wind turbine owned by a national company, 2 no 2.5MVA wind turbines, I'm looking for information as it does not seem very straight forward

Parents
  • thanks, Chris

that's a little larger than what I'd assumed, but the principles remain

the main safety issue is to avoid a parallel across the outside DNO network. the simplest solution is to have a single connection with the outside world, so that either the industrial estate piggy backs on the existing wind farm connection, or you create a new connection for the industrial estate, and transfer the wind farm onto that. either way, you'll be running a private 11kV network around the estate, so I assume that you are (or have access to somebody who is) competent to manage such a system. I strongly advise against having a private wire between two premises which are each connected to the outside DNO network - I've seen houses on fire because of similar unintended connections, because the fault current doesn't go where you expect it to

if you'd prefer your friendly neighbourhood DNO to own and operate the 11kV system around the industrial estate, which is the solution I recommend, then I don't think that a private wire is the solution. instead, you're into a commercial debate about whether you can wheel energy from the wind farm the short distance to your estate. I used to know about this stuff, but I'm well out of date now, so I think that your best bet is a chat with your friendly neighbourhood DNO. where is this project?

Dave

• thanks, Chris

that's a little larger than what I'd assumed, but the principles remain

the main safety issue is to avoid a parallel across the outside DNO network. the simplest solution is to have a single connection with the outside world, so that either the industrial estate piggy backs on the existing wind farm connection, or you create a new connection for the industrial estate, and transfer the wind farm onto that. either way, you'll be running a private 11kV network around the estate, so I assume that you are (or have access to somebody who is) competent to manage such a system. I strongly advise against having a private wire between two premises which are each connected to the outside DNO network - I've seen houses on fire because of similar unintended connections, because the fault current doesn't go where you expect it to

if you'd prefer your friendly neighbourhood DNO to own and operate the 11kV system around the industrial estate, which is the solution I recommend, then I don't think that a private wire is the solution. instead, you're into a commercial debate about whether you can wheel energy from the wind farm the short distance to your estate. I used to know about this stuff, but I'm well out of date now, so I think that your best bet is a chat with your friendly neighbourhood DNO. where is this project?

Dave

Children
No Data