This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

EVs and the public, Interesting!

Parents
  • I feel that the problems are exaggerated.

Most rural homes DO have off street parking, lack of same is more of an urban problem.

An EV can be slow charged with a “granny lead” anywhere with mains electricity. A 12 hour overnight charge at this slow rate will be fine for almost all users.

Charging at 7 kw is possible almost anywhere with mains electricity, very few drivers will need more than that.

Most charging will be done at night for two reasons, firstly most vehicles are unused at night, and secondly overnight charging will be encouraged by preferential tariffs.

Daytime charging is easily offset by installing grid tied PV. A 4 kw PV installation on every house with an EV will avoid any net increase in daytime load. A million 4 kw PV installs should produce an average of 1 kw each. A million EV chargers will probably use less than 1 kw each. And yes I know that the EV chargers are probably 7 kw each, but a lot of the vehicles will be already “full”, or in use, or parked not at home, so 1 kw each on average is generous.

With enough grid tied PV capacity, preferential tariffs could encourage charging in daylight hours. 

• I feel that the problems are exaggerated.

Most rural homes DO have off street parking, lack of same is more of an urban problem.

An EV can be slow charged with a “granny lead” anywhere with mains electricity. A 12 hour overnight charge at this slow rate will be fine for almost all users.

Charging at 7 kw is possible almost anywhere with mains electricity, very few drivers will need more than that.

Most charging will be done at night for two reasons, firstly most vehicles are unused at night, and secondly overnight charging will be encouraged by preferential tariffs.

Daytime charging is easily offset by installing grid tied PV. A 4 kw PV installation on every house with an EV will avoid any net increase in daytime load. A million 4 kw PV installs should produce an average of 1 kw each. A million EV chargers will probably use less than 1 kw each. And yes I know that the EV chargers are probably 7 kw each, but a lot of the vehicles will be already “full”, or in use, or parked not at home, so 1 kw each on average is generous.

With enough grid tied PV capacity, preferential tariffs could encourage charging in daylight hours. 

Children
No Data