This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

EVs and the public, Interesting!

Parents
  • I am glad to see that a few others here are realistic. You may have your PV-charged car Broadgauge, why not just put the solar cells all over the bodywork? Many roofs are unsuitable, not south-facing etc. Even so in winter, you will struggle to get more than a few kWh from the solar. It all sounds just fine until you need the car and the battery has enough charge to go nowhere, and the heater will reduce the range by a factor of 3. It would be even worse if the car is used to store the “excess” electricity and it is sold on. Renewable electricity simply does not work in developed countries, Germany was very keen until reality hit and they are now building more coal power stations. Funny that! I am waiting for the plans for significant storage to be released, the requirement suggested is 100-200 TWh, with enough turbines to recharge this in 20 days, I wonder where they can be put because there is not enough land or sea or materials or labour or of course money!

• I am glad to see that a few others here are realistic. You may have your PV-charged car Broadgauge, why not just put the solar cells all over the bodywork? Many roofs are unsuitable, not south-facing etc. Even so in winter, you will struggle to get more than a few kWh from the solar. It all sounds just fine until you need the car and the battery has enough charge to go nowhere, and the heater will reduce the range by a factor of 3. It would be even worse if the car is used to store the “excess” electricity and it is sold on. Renewable electricity simply does not work in developed countries, Germany was very keen until reality hit and they are now building more coal power stations. Funny that! I am waiting for the plans for significant storage to be released, the requirement suggested is 100-200 TWh, with enough turbines to recharge this in 20 days, I wonder where they can be put because there is not enough land or sea or materials or labour or of course money!

Children
No Data