This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Electric Vehicle's Limited Range.

Some top electric cars miss quoted battery ranges by almost a THIRD | Daily Mail Online

Z.

Parents
  • I'm pretty sure the same can be said for petrol and diesel cars, when driven under the wrong conditions.

Batteries don't like the cold.  So if you're blasting up the motorway, on a freezing cold day, with the heating on full, then you won't get anywhere near the claimed range.

The new WLTP standard for measuring EV range is better than the old NEDC one.  But it still assumes ideal conditions.  Driving around at moderate speed on a warm day, with the heating and air conditioning turned off.

If you're going to drive long journeys in all conditions, buy a car with a considerable safety margin on the range.  When I finally get round to buying a (nearly) new car*, I have a target range of 150 miles (because that's a journey I do from time to time).  So I will need a car with a WLTP range of at least 180 miles, and preferably over 200.  Luckily, they are increasingly common now, even on the second-hand market.

*Electric cars are cheap to run.  But it still makes no financial sense to scrap an old but working petrol car, to replace it with a new electric one.

• I'm pretty sure the same can be said for petrol and diesel cars, when driven under the wrong conditions.

Batteries don't like the cold.  So if you're blasting up the motorway, on a freezing cold day, with the heating on full, then you won't get anywhere near the claimed range.

The new WLTP standard for measuring EV range is better than the old NEDC one.  But it still assumes ideal conditions.  Driving around at moderate speed on a warm day, with the heating and air conditioning turned off.

If you're going to drive long journeys in all conditions, buy a car with a considerable safety margin on the range.  When I finally get round to buying a (nearly) new car*, I have a target range of 150 miles (because that's a journey I do from time to time).  So I will need a car with a WLTP range of at least 180 miles, and preferably over 200.  Luckily, they are increasingly common now, even on the second-hand market.

*Electric cars are cheap to run.  But it still makes no financial sense to scrap an old but working petrol car, to replace it with a new electric one.

Children
No Data