This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Which MSc?

Former Community Member
Former Community Member

Evening all,

I've recently completed my BEng (Hons) in Civil Engineering whilst serving in the military as an engineer for the last 13 years. I have aspirations of gaining CEng status and I'm currently looking at potential MSc options.

I'm torn between facilities management, coastal engineering and a more generic civil engineering MSc. I will be completing the MSc part-time while continuing my current job as a military engineer. Any recommendations on which path to choose. Facilities management probably has the most relevance to my current work but coastal engineering is a subject I'm intrigued by.

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.

Karl

Parents
  • These questions are always tough, because there's no “right” answer, all anyone can do is describe what the various options are like to work in to help you decide what most fits what you'd like out of a role.

But I did just want to pick up on one point: don't use “aspirations of gaining a CEng” as a guide to which course (or which ultimate role) to aim for, if the role you end up in is a “CEng-type role” then you will be able to get CEng, with or without a Masters (of course provided you can show you're competent in that role!).  In fact it's quite possible you may be eligible for CEng now, depending on what your responsibilities have been in your current role.

Hopefully you're asking this same question on the Institution of Civil Engineers forum (assuming they have one)? There may be more people there  who can describe what the various roles you're interested in actually involve, and what qualifications / experience will help you get there.

Good luck, Andy

• These questions are always tough, because there's no “right” answer, all anyone can do is describe what the various options are like to work in to help you decide what most fits what you'd like out of a role.

But I did just want to pick up on one point: don't use “aspirations of gaining a CEng” as a guide to which course (or which ultimate role) to aim for, if the role you end up in is a “CEng-type role” then you will be able to get CEng, with or without a Masters (of course provided you can show you're competent in that role!).  In fact it's quite possible you may be eligible for CEng now, depending on what your responsibilities have been in your current role.

Hopefully you're asking this same question on the Institution of Civil Engineers forum (assuming they have one)? There may be more people there  who can describe what the various roles you're interested in actually involve, and what qualifications / experience will help you get there.

Good luck, Andy

Children
No Data