This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Calvin Asks: How do I handle sexism at work?

I've just started an adult apprenticeship as the first female in this specific trade.

Mostly I've felt welcomed but there is one colleague that, well, isn't welcoming.

So far I've tried not reacting but he seems to escalate because hes not getting a response. When I do respond, he becomes almost unresponsive and near impossible to work with (he will simply blank me). It's like he goads me but then becomes upset that a woman has 'questioned' him. Other colleagues have commented on how rude he can be towards me but mostly keep clear of it (I don't blame them).

I'm mostly asking for advice from other women working in engineering. How do i handle this? 

This job requires a great deal of trust in the people you're working with so I don't want to report him just yet as I know this could make others wary of working with me. At the same time I don't want to listen to his comments of "all women are prostitutes" and "once a woman's been bred they're no good" as well as being blanked completely.

Please help!

Exasperated of Exeter. 

Need advice but  too shy to ask? Have a question of a sensitive nature and would prefer to remain anonymous? Need to get something off your chest but worried about the boss (or your colleagues) finding out? Then Ask Calvin! Submit your questions confidentially to AskCalvin@theiet.org and Calvin will ask the community on your behalf to give you the anonymity you want to find the advice you need.

Parents
  • Zoomup‍ Sorry but I personally feel your advice is part of the problem, not part of the solution.
  • Zoomup‍ Sorry but I personally feel your advice is part of the problem, not part of the solution.
Children
No Data