This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

RFI from LED lights

I'm planning to build a garden room to house my amateur radio equipment.

Naturally I'd like it to be as energy efficient as possible but I'm aware that LED lighting has a reputation for generating interference across the HF bands.

Any suggestions on how to minimise this please?

Mike G8GYW

Parents
  • Hi Mike. I have LED lighting throughout the house but do not experience any HF interference. I am lucky to live in a very rural location so have very low noise levels across the HF bands. Usually less than S1 on the lower HF bands and virtually noise free 20m up. From my understanding much of the noise problems experienced at HF are a result of VDSL broadband and I've deliberately kept ADSL2+ as I have overhead telephone line to the house. Try to keep your aerial away from obvious noise sources as suggested by mapj1 (Mike) and have a well balanced and/or matched feed. I'm sure a good RF earth will help too. I use a linear power supply rather than SMPS but good ones will provide frequency adjustment to eliminate interference from harmonics. If all else fails your plan to use battery power charged from solar will help.

Good luck 73

Andy GM0BZS

• Hi Mike. I have LED lighting throughout the house but do not experience any HF interference. I am lucky to live in a very rural location so have very low noise levels across the HF bands. Usually less than S1 on the lower HF bands and virtually noise free 20m up. From my understanding much of the noise problems experienced at HF are a result of VDSL broadband and I've deliberately kept ADSL2+ as I have overhead telephone line to the house. Try to keep your aerial away from obvious noise sources as suggested by mapj1 (Mike) and have a well balanced and/or matched feed. I'm sure a good RF earth will help too. I use a linear power supply rather than SMPS but good ones will provide frequency adjustment to eliminate interference from harmonics. If all else fails your plan to use battery power charged from solar will help.

Good luck 73

Andy GM0BZS

Children
No Data