This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

RFI from LED lights

I'm planning to build a garden room to house my amateur radio equipment.

Naturally I'd like it to be as energy efficient as possible but I'm aware that LED lighting has a reputation for generating interference across the HF bands.

Any suggestions on how to minimise this please?

Mike G8GYW

Parents
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member

I tried an experiment by running my hf rig off a battery and knocking off the mains supply to my house to see if there was any reduction in noise on the hf bands. Unfortunately not, though whether some of the issue might have been noise coming in on the mains earth (PME and overhead supply cables) I didn't check. I am also looking at supply options for a future garden shack which will be about 50m away from the house and am seriously thinking about batteries topped up by solar without any mains connection to the house, however this will be right beside a local ground mounted transformer supplying a number of houses in our road. I know the things are supposed to be totally screened but wonder how much ‘noise’ might be escaping from it or the adjacent fuse cabinet.

Andy G1BED

• Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member

I tried an experiment by running my hf rig off a battery and knocking off the mains supply to my house to see if there was any reduction in noise on the hf bands. Unfortunately not, though whether some of the issue might have been noise coming in on the mains earth (PME and overhead supply cables) I didn't check. I am also looking at supply options for a future garden shack which will be about 50m away from the house and am seriously thinking about batteries topped up by solar without any mains connection to the house, however this will be right beside a local ground mounted transformer supplying a number of houses in our road. I know the things are supposed to be totally screened but wonder how much ‘noise’ might be escaping from it or the adjacent fuse cabinet.

Andy G1BED

Children
No Data