This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Help inform our next campaign

Hi everyone!

Hope you're safe and well.

We champion equality, diversity and inclusion here at the IET - and frequently run campaigns to challenge outdated stereotypes and make our profession a more welcoming and inclusive place.

We're starting work on our next campaign - and we need your help!

Our focus for this phase is on how we can take real, tangible steps to unite our community to make engineering and technology a career path that is accessible to everyone.

So, what’s your experience? Tell us by adding your thoughts below.

We want to hear from everyone, and we mean everyone. We believe that continuing to thrive in this sector can only happen if we all connect and work together, and that means we need all viewpoints – positive, negative, and even the grey area in between!

So whether you have had good or bad experiences, whatever your background, and whether you identify with different protected characteristics or not – we want to hear from you.

And if you’re comfortable sharing your thoughts in a little more detail, we’re looking for a broad mix of individuals to be interviewed in the next few weeks. You can submit your details for consideration via this link.

And if you would prefer to remain anonymous but still have a viewpoint you’d like to share – no problem! You can send us your thoughts using this form instead.

Thank you in advance for your support.

Parents
  • The Royal Academy of Engineering review on the STEM education landscape - 

https://www.raeng.org.uk/publications/reports/uk-stem-education-landscape

which provided an update to the original review by Sir Gareth Roberts concluded  that there are many factors including structural barriers that prevent young people from engaging in STEM careers. 
    From my own experiences, as a female engineer and as someone who has been promoting engineering consistently throughout my career, I can see that there is still much to do. 
    Whether people like to admit it or not, there are still huge barriers. I now look after numerous engineering apprentices at L3 and L4 in FE. I am working with local employers and the community to grow the number of apprentices from significantly under represented groups primarily to eradicate the academic snobbery that permeates the education system (and sorry to be blunt, but the Institutions themselves fall into that bracket too). I  had an apprentice, who through no fault of his own, lost his apprenticeship (COVID related and downturn in business), he wanted to continue with his L3 engineering qualification but fell outside all the free funding criteria mostly because of his age and the fact that he already had A Levels (not in STEM subjects). I tried ALL my networks to try and secure funding for him, but to no avail. I ask why???? As an Institution we have a number of incentives to support undergraduates and graduates but little if anything to support those who choose an alternative route? Why?
    We have to ensure that we are accessible to ALL, no matter their route into or through engineering.

• The Royal Academy of Engineering review on the STEM education landscape - 

https://www.raeng.org.uk/publications/reports/uk-stem-education-landscape

which provided an update to the original review by Sir Gareth Roberts concluded  that there are many factors including structural barriers that prevent young people from engaging in STEM careers. 
    From my own experiences, as a female engineer and as someone who has been promoting engineering consistently throughout my career, I can see that there is still much to do. 
    Whether people like to admit it or not, there are still huge barriers. I now look after numerous engineering apprentices at L3 and L4 in FE. I am working with local employers and the community to grow the number of apprentices from significantly under represented groups primarily to eradicate the academic snobbery that permeates the education system (and sorry to be blunt, but the Institutions themselves fall into that bracket too). I  had an apprentice, who through no fault of his own, lost his apprenticeship (COVID related and downturn in business), he wanted to continue with his L3 engineering qualification but fell outside all the free funding criteria mostly because of his age and the fact that he already had A Levels (not in STEM subjects). I tried ALL my networks to try and secure funding for him, but to no avail. I ask why???? As an Institution we have a number of incentives to support undergraduates and graduates but little if anything to support those who choose an alternative route? Why?
    We have to ensure that we are accessible to ALL, no matter their route into or through engineering.

Children
No Data