This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Help inform our next campaign

Hi everyone!

Hope you're safe and well.

We champion equality, diversity and inclusion here at the IET - and frequently run campaigns to challenge outdated stereotypes and make our profession a more welcoming and inclusive place.

We're starting work on our next campaign - and we need your help!

Our focus for this phase is on how we can take real, tangible steps to unite our community to make engineering and technology a career path that is accessible to everyone.

So, what’s your experience? Tell us by adding your thoughts below.

We want to hear from everyone, and we mean everyone. We believe that continuing to thrive in this sector can only happen if we all connect and work together, and that means we need all viewpoints – positive, negative, and even the grey area in between!

So whether you have had good or bad experiences, whatever your background, and whether you identify with different protected characteristics or not – we want to hear from you.

And if you’re comfortable sharing your thoughts in a little more detail, we’re looking for a broad mix of individuals to be interviewed in the next few weeks. You can submit your details for consideration via this link.

And if you would prefer to remain anonymous but still have a viewpoint you’d like to share – no problem! You can send us your thoughts using this form instead.

Thank you in advance for your support.

Parents
  • At school in the 60s I was with a variety of students from around the world - all male. The sixth form however was shared with an all girls school.

At university, studying Electronics & Electrical Engineering, again there was a variety of students from around the world - all male. However, when doing my PhD there was a very interesting Cantonese lady from Malaysia with us - we eventually got married and are still together. I attracted her interest initially because I knew where Malaysia is.

At work I had some interesting experiences that made me realise that we need a range of people to enhance our engineering capability.

In the earl 80s, we recruited someone who just sat in the corner of the room and said nothing. One person found out how to communicate with him and together they formed a successful small team designing cyber secure power supplies for all of the companies products.

Over time I met and worked with blind people, deaf people, transgender people and people in wheelchairs - all engineers who contributed a lot to the business. Actually when I worked with these people I didn't notice their differences.

During the six years before my retirement, our Chief Engineer was a woman and my manager was a woman.

These are just examples - my work environment was diverse but could be more so.

I think that the IET should be encouraging people from diverse backgrounds that engineering can be very interesting and rewarding while at the same time encouraging companies to recruit a diverse group of people by illustrating the benefits with evidence.

My concern is that we need to include those people who think differently to us. If we can find out how to communicate with them then maybe they have plenty to give to engineering. At the moment we seem to try to control them by giving them medicine.

We also need to give engineers a role in society. Most people have no idea what an engineer is, so it is a closed group. Government could benefit enormously from more engineers being involved. For example, I insist on being called Dr or Peter - I don't like being called Mr but  a lot of people don't know that engineers can be doctors (not medical doctors, i.e. medics). Even worse, nurses with PhDs are still nurse.

• At school in the 60s I was with a variety of students from around the world - all male. The sixth form however was shared with an all girls school.

At university, studying Electronics & Electrical Engineering, again there was a variety of students from around the world - all male. However, when doing my PhD there was a very interesting Cantonese lady from Malaysia with us - we eventually got married and are still together. I attracted her interest initially because I knew where Malaysia is.

At work I had some interesting experiences that made me realise that we need a range of people to enhance our engineering capability.

In the earl 80s, we recruited someone who just sat in the corner of the room and said nothing. One person found out how to communicate with him and together they formed a successful small team designing cyber secure power supplies for all of the companies products.

Over time I met and worked with blind people, deaf people, transgender people and people in wheelchairs - all engineers who contributed a lot to the business. Actually when I worked with these people I didn't notice their differences.

During the six years before my retirement, our Chief Engineer was a woman and my manager was a woman.

These are just examples - my work environment was diverse but could be more so.

I think that the IET should be encouraging people from diverse backgrounds that engineering can be very interesting and rewarding while at the same time encouraging companies to recruit a diverse group of people by illustrating the benefits with evidence.

My concern is that we need to include those people who think differently to us. If we can find out how to communicate with them then maybe they have plenty to give to engineering. At the moment we seem to try to control them by giving them medicine.

We also need to give engineers a role in society. Most people have no idea what an engineer is, so it is a closed group. Government could benefit enormously from more engineers being involved. For example, I insist on being called Dr or Peter - I don't like being called Mr but  a lot of people don't know that engineers can be doctors (not medical doctors, i.e. medics). Even worse, nurses with PhDs are still nurse.

Children
No Data