This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Help inform our next campaign

Hi everyone!

Hope you're safe and well.

We champion equality, diversity and inclusion here at the IET - and frequently run campaigns to challenge outdated stereotypes and make our profession a more welcoming and inclusive place.

We're starting work on our next campaign - and we need your help!

Our focus for this phase is on how we can take real, tangible steps to unite our community to make engineering and technology a career path that is accessible to everyone.

So, what’s your experience? Tell us by adding your thoughts below.

We want to hear from everyone, and we mean everyone. We believe that continuing to thrive in this sector can only happen if we all connect and work together, and that means we need all viewpoints – positive, negative, and even the grey area in between!

So whether you have had good or bad experiences, whatever your background, and whether you identify with different protected characteristics or not – we want to hear from you.

And if you’re comfortable sharing your thoughts in a little more detail, we’re looking for a broad mix of individuals to be interviewed in the next few weeks. You can submit your details for consideration via this link.

And if you would prefer to remain anonymous but still have a viewpoint you’d like to share – no problem! You can send us your thoughts using this form instead.

Thank you in advance for your support.

Parents
  • I too was a Maths (Mathematical Sciences) Graduate, but in the 1990s.  The split between Male and Female was not noticeably skewed, and ethnic origin was not something I could comment on as it really wasn't an issue and I can't even picture how it looked.

I completed a MSc in Cyber Security last year and my class was more than 75% “ethnic minority” and less than 10% female with only one woman.

Personally, I think these diversity issues are created by an overwhelming desire to be seen as awake to these [non-] issues, which are actually creating the opposite situation, which could be called “white unprivileged”.

Perhaps all that we need to ensure is that memberships/attendances profiles fit closely enough to the social profiles of of those who apply for/work in the various areas of interest.  I would then say it is likely more down to getting coverage and exposure across the field rather than any ethnic or gender “privilege”.

• I too was a Maths (Mathematical Sciences) Graduate, but in the 1990s.  The split between Male and Female was not noticeably skewed, and ethnic origin was not something I could comment on as it really wasn't an issue and I can't even picture how it looked.

I completed a MSc in Cyber Security last year and my class was more than 75% “ethnic minority” and less than 10% female with only one woman.

Personally, I think these diversity issues are created by an overwhelming desire to be seen as awake to these [non-] issues, which are actually creating the opposite situation, which could be called “white unprivileged”.

Perhaps all that we need to ensure is that memberships/attendances profiles fit closely enough to the social profiles of of those who apply for/work in the various areas of interest.  I would then say it is likely more down to getting coverage and exposure across the field rather than any ethnic or gender “privilege”.

Children
No Data