This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Help inform our next campaign

Hi everyone!

Hope you're safe and well.

We champion equality, diversity and inclusion here at the IET - and frequently run campaigns to challenge outdated stereotypes and make our profession a more welcoming and inclusive place.

We're starting work on our next campaign - and we need your help!

Our focus for this phase is on how we can take real, tangible steps to unite our community to make engineering and technology a career path that is accessible to everyone.

So, what’s your experience? Tell us by adding your thoughts below.

We want to hear from everyone, and we mean everyone. We believe that continuing to thrive in this sector can only happen if we all connect and work together, and that means we need all viewpoints – positive, negative, and even the grey area in between!

So whether you have had good or bad experiences, whatever your background, and whether you identify with different protected characteristics or not – we want to hear from you.

And if you’re comfortable sharing your thoughts in a little more detail, we’re looking for a broad mix of individuals to be interviewed in the next few weeks. You can submit your details for consideration via this link.

And if you would prefer to remain anonymous but still have a viewpoint you’d like to share – no problem! You can send us your thoughts using this form instead.

Thank you in advance for your support.

Parents
  • Andy Millar: 

Simon Barker: 

Rob Eagle: 

I quite agree with you Matthew, the IET is more like a student union these days with their relentless ‘Woke' nonsense, I am seriously thinking of not renewing my membership and leaving after 30 years, I don't recognise it anymore as an engineering institution.

I'm sure the IET will carry on fine without you.

Rob Eagle:

Simon Barker:  What an unpleasant thing to say to a fellow engineer.

As I have stated before on this thread, I find that left leaning people, people who feel that they occupy the moral high ground, are the most intolerant of other people’s opinion.

Rob,

None of us might like it, but Simon's post is factually correct. Any of us can leave if we don't like what “the IET” (whatever we take that to mean) is doing, it won't make a blind bit of difference to the IET (well, to be precise it will make 1 / 168,000 x 100% difference).

Heaven knows, I spent 10 years avoiding joining the (then) IEE because I perceived it - rightly or wrongly - as a club where I would not feel comfortable being a member. It seemed to survive alright without me. And since then have often felt like leaving for similar reasons. (I suspect for reasons diametrically opposed to yours, but of course I don't know that. And it's quite possible that if "the IET" is annoying both of us then then it's probably doing the right thing!) 

Now, until recently, my problem was that I didn't have any other choice to maintain my professional registration (I, and I believe you as well as I think you work in the same field as myself and Peter, could now maintain it through another relevant institution if I wished). But I would hope the IET would completely ignore that and concentrate on the profession as a whole.

Including canvassing the widest range of views possible, which as SMW says is exactly what they are doing here. But of course it's up to individuals whether they engage with that process, however those who don't engage can't complain about not having their opinions listened to.

My bigger concern is, and has always been, the huge percentage of the engineering profession who do not consider the IET, or any other PEI, worth joining - there are far more engineers in the UK outside the PEIs than inside them. That suggests to me that we may well have a diversity issue ourselves, that it is possible that people who join PEIs (and remain in them) are the type of people who join PEIs, not necessarily representative of the engineering profession.

That said, I had better disengage from this myself as it's a busy week in the day job coming up…

Thanks,

Andy

A Tweet from John Cleese:

A lot of woke behaviours seem to me posturing ; striking attitudes that allow them to experience the lovely, warm glow of moral superiority, while justifying their own aggression by using denial-and-projection defences

• Andy Millar: 

Simon Barker: 

Rob Eagle: 

I quite agree with you Matthew, the IET is more like a student union these days with their relentless ‘Woke' nonsense, I am seriously thinking of not renewing my membership and leaving after 30 years, I don't recognise it anymore as an engineering institution.

I'm sure the IET will carry on fine without you.

Rob Eagle:

Simon Barker:  What an unpleasant thing to say to a fellow engineer.

As I have stated before on this thread, I find that left leaning people, people who feel that they occupy the moral high ground, are the most intolerant of other people’s opinion.

Rob,

None of us might like it, but Simon's post is factually correct. Any of us can leave if we don't like what “the IET” (whatever we take that to mean) is doing, it won't make a blind bit of difference to the IET (well, to be precise it will make 1 / 168,000 x 100% difference).

Heaven knows, I spent 10 years avoiding joining the (then) IEE because I perceived it - rightly or wrongly - as a club where I would not feel comfortable being a member. It seemed to survive alright without me. And since then have often felt like leaving for similar reasons. (I suspect for reasons diametrically opposed to yours, but of course I don't know that. And it's quite possible that if "the IET" is annoying both of us then then it's probably doing the right thing!) 

Now, until recently, my problem was that I didn't have any other choice to maintain my professional registration (I, and I believe you as well as I think you work in the same field as myself and Peter, could now maintain it through another relevant institution if I wished). But I would hope the IET would completely ignore that and concentrate on the profession as a whole.

Including canvassing the widest range of views possible, which as SMW says is exactly what they are doing here. But of course it's up to individuals whether they engage with that process, however those who don't engage can't complain about not having their opinions listened to.

My bigger concern is, and has always been, the huge percentage of the engineering profession who do not consider the IET, or any other PEI, worth joining - there are far more engineers in the UK outside the PEIs than inside them. That suggests to me that we may well have a diversity issue ourselves, that it is possible that people who join PEIs (and remain in them) are the type of people who join PEIs, not necessarily representative of the engineering profession.

That said, I had better disengage from this myself as it's a busy week in the day job coming up…

Thanks,

Andy

A Tweet from John Cleese:

A lot of woke behaviours seem to me posturing ; striking attitudes that allow them to experience the lovely, warm glow of moral superiority, while justifying their own aggression by using denial-and-projection defences

Children
No Data